Jig for Engraving Multiple Pencils: Repeatable positioning

That’s great. Been thinking I needed to engrave some pencils. I even bought a bunch of carpenters pencils at Lowe’s on clearance last week to do something like this… I guess now I have to :rofl:

Great instructions and great project. Thank you kindly for the file.

Thanks for sharing.

I just repackaged it…the file was @marmak3261’s creation. (And it’s been a very popular one.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @marmak3261, where did you source your pencil blanks? For some reason, I’m having a really hard time finding pastel colored blanks that aren’t already personalized. I found this place, but they don’t have the colors I need. Thanks!

1 Like

Amazon, eBay, etc.

Just search for “bulk pencils”…

i.e. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pre-sharpened-Wood-Cased-Pencils/dp/B071JM699P

1 Like

I got a bunch of bright color ones from Amazon. The ones featured above were from a desk set gift box.

1 Like

Looking for pastel colors like in this post.

1 Like

I downloaded the jig (THANK YOU, @marmak3261!!) and imported it into Inkscape. However, I can’t figure out how to edit the text - ? (Sorry, I’m an Inkscape noob, and am clueless on this.) I know how to replace the existing text in each rectangle individually, but not edit it so that the name is applied to the entire jig.

Can someone walk me through how to edit the text so that the name/saying I want to engrave replaces “Makforg…” on the entire jig?

TIA!

I used the clone tool for this. Try this file. You should be able to click through and edit the text and all the clones will change. Make sure you convert text to path before creating the clones and also delete the clone that gets put on top of original.

Make your first cutout for the pencil, then do your text that you want. Then group the whole rectangle and text. Then Edit > Tiled Clone.

Use the settings in the Shift Tab dialogue box of the tiled clone tool. Sift X per row 0% and 10% shift per column. Shift Y is 100% (shifts it down the height of the rectangle every time the clone is made going down the column per but no shift over. And then 0% Shift per column on Y. You can see the settings in the above screen shot.

Click the create button. You will get two columns of 15 slots each.

Now you can click through the group to get to the text by three rapid clicks. If you edit the original, then the rest of the clones will change. Then convert text to path. All will go to path.

Ok. Here is an SVG that is generic. You should be able use this with the clone tool. The text is still editable. You can change the font from comic sans if you want. I’ll keep working on this but wanted to post. Can’t post an SVG natively and preserver the clone links. So zipping a complete jig with clones at the end of post. Let me know if you get hung up on something.

Generic Pencil JIG

Here is a zipped file that should still preserve the linked clones. Just edit top left and the rest will change automagically.

Tiled Clone Pencil Jig.zip (2.8 KB)

10 Likes

THANK YOU for these amazing, detailed instructions!! I am so grateful.:pray:t3: Can’t wait to try this, and will post a results (not at my computer today). :slight_smile: Thanks again!

2 Likes

I ordered these! Thanks so much for the information. I was wonder what settings you used because I would like to cut a little deeper than it is doing now.
I am currently using speed 335, lines per inch 349, focus height .125 and material height .3

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

We can only discuss settings for non Proofgrade materials in the Beyond the Manual section. Here is one such post: Custom Engraved Pencils

Also, you might have better luck letting the Glowforge auto focus for the height. In general, slower speed or increased power will deepen an engrave.

4 Likes

Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for directing me to the correct place to post, DKLGOOD!

The link was super helpful.
Sam

2 Likes

This and awesome, and so are you! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks so much! From a jr high teacher with very little time but lots of pencil customers

2 Likes

I use Silhouette Studio also

1 Like

This is awesome! Thank you so much. I cut it from cardboard right away.

3 Likes

thanks so much! this is perfect!

1 Like

Here is a Cuttle version for making jigs. Pencils, or whatever.

I export the jig, then re-import it into my design program to add the elements to engrave.

10 Likes