Jig for Engraving on Pencils

Me too! I can’t find it either :frowning:

Right click the line drawing at the end of the original post. Save image as svg.

Ahhhh…Thank you!

Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you

1 Like

Newbie here…how do you know what settings to use? I let it pick default settings for the Glowforge brand draftboard, and it didn’t cut all the way through the material.

What did I do wrong??

hey you can google online material settings for glowforge someone made a chart of what settings to use it works great. Also what material are you using proofgrade stuff? i can help with your settings :slight_smile:

glowforge material settings spreadsheet

look this up on google it will give you a pretty cool spreadsheet on settings

I’m using Proofgrade Draftboard. I didn’t change any settings, and it cut, but not all the way through the materials. I tried to make another pass and slow it down, but that was clearly NOT the right answer, but it literally set the material on fire and turned it to dusty char. Yikes! I feel like I’m wasting SO much material trying to figure out the settings. Any suggestions/charts you have to share are GREATLY appreciated!!

Best,
Suzy

You should have no problem using Proofgrade settings for Proofgrade materials. If your optics and fans are clean, and if the material is held down flat to the honeycomb tray, Glowforge guarantees that the material will cut properly. Document your item that didn’t cut along with the date and time of the print and contact Glowforge support.

When you slowed down your cut, it sounds like you went too slowly and that is why you had a fire. Have you read this:https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633574-Working-With-Manual-Mode

1 Like

Oh my gosh, this is so helpful!

Thank you!

1 Like

You should contact support via email, or open your own discussion in Community Support if you want help from the community.

This section is for sharing designs, not troubleshooting machine problems.

the focus height i measured it said 10.53 does that sound correct?

That doesn’t sound right. You don’t have to input any height, simply use the set focus tool and make sure that the red beam lands squarely on the material you will be engraving.

1 Like

If you made the base of the jig from thick draftboard or similar, then the combined thickness of that and a standard pencil would be close to or at the limit of what will fit under the head and focus correctly.

There is no need, however, for a base. Just cut the pencil outline from a single piece of material. Shipping-box cardboard works just as well as draftboard. Use set-focus while zoomed in onto a pencil to set the correct focus height.

Something like this will work fine (make sure the pencil outline matches the dimensions of your pencils):
drawing

5 Likes

You just gave me the perfect gift idea! What a great first day at school gift than engraved pencils with the child’s name! Thank you!! Also thank you for the instructions!!

2 Likes