Jig for Engraving on Pencils

I made this jig from Draftboard, to consistently position pencils for engraving. Other small round objects similar to a pencil will also work well.
The jig consists of four components: a base, a holder and two pegs.

Once assembled, the pegs align with the holes in the honeycomb grid of the Glowforge. I glued all the components together but gluing only the base and holder together would the pegs to be replaced if needed. And if gluing only the base and holder, use the pegs to properly position the base and holder until the glue sets.

The first time the jig is positioned on the Glowforge grid it will take a little wiggling to round slightly the ā€˜squareā€™ edges of the pegs.

The jig can be positioned anywhere on the grid as long as it is PARALLEL to the gridā€™s front edge.
Included the SVG file. First time attempting this so hope it all works.
Pencil holding JIG

116 Likes

I really like the grid-positioning pegs to keep things square. Nice touch!

8 Likes

Very nice! Iā€™m moving this to Free Laser Designs since you were kind enough to share the file!! Thank you!!

7 Likes

Great, thank you!

2 Likes

Fantastic share! Engraved pencils are fun! This is worth having!

2 Likes

Hey, thanks!

3 Likes

Great share - thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the share! I think Iā€™m going to jump on this one right away! This sounds like fun!

3 Likes

Neat! Thanks!

3 Likes

I made one from your plan and want to thank you for being so inventive and sharing. Glowforge people are the greatest.

4 Likes

Adding this to my ā€œto makeā€ list! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing!! It works like a charm! :slightly_smiling_face:

Good to hear. Thanks

I feel dumbā€¦ Where is the link to the jig?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Right click the file and save as an svg to your computer. The file is the thing that looks like a line drawing at the very bottom of the original post.

1 Like

Thank you! I was looking for a linkā€¦ Too early for me today! LOL

This is AMAZING! My sister is a teacher, this will come in handy for april 1st!

This is so cool!! I do have a request!! I am a kinder teacher, looking for a pencil jig for the thicker primary pencils!! My Glowforge is set to be delivered Wednesday!! Yay!! But if anyone has a jig for the primary pencils I would love it!!! I mean, I guess when I get good I can maybe create one? But, itā€™s kinda the first thing I want to engrave!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Welcome!

Creating a jig for the thicker pencils would be a great early project for learning to use your machine. The ā€œfirst cutsā€ tutorials will get you what you need for machine operation. You will need some basic facility with a vector graphics program like Inkscape, Affinity Designer or Adobe Illustrator (there are others but, those are the most popular here) ā€“ pretty much making rectangles and text.

There will be a lot of people eager to help you, probably even walk you through it, if you start your own post in the Everything Else category after you get set up and ready to go!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing!