Jigsaw puzzle generator

I love the new rounded corners!! Thank you for adding them! If you end up adding any more options…I would love to see a circle! Maybe with one piece in the center and then out from there? Hmm. I’ve done a few shaped puzzles, and they are a pain in the butt, but this generator you’ve made has been so awesome for the straight walled ones!
Thanks again!! You’ve saved me countless hours.

Very Cool thanks

This is great. I cut a 100 piece blank puzzle (small too)… really hard to put that together :slight_smile:

Thank you!
I tried to find something like this as well but wasn’t satisfied with what I found.
Your’s looks simple but very convenient :slight_smile:

I just updated again. This time, I seperated the paths into horizontal, vertical and border, to allow for pauses or different settings, if needed (thanks @novak for the suggestion).

As last time, I can’t update the contents of the original link, the new version can be found here (also added in the top post).

jigsaw

23 Likes

Thanks for continuing to update this and you sharing it generously!

3 Likes

Thanks very much. These are excellent improvements.

I’ve been wanted to make one for a long time, now you’ve taken away my excuses. Thanks for all the work and sharing it with us.

1 Like

This little remark just cost me 8 hours (fun though!), and I think I got something. It’s based on hexagons and has some toggleable options to play around with. I also changed the way I host this, so for future updates there is no need to update all the links again…

https://draradech.github.io/jigsaw/index.html

25 Likes

SQUEEE! I have attempted a circle puzzle a few times and always ended up with non-puzzle piece pieces, more just long rectangles that fit into each other. Which is cool, but not what I wanted. This is gonna make it so much easier!!

3 Likes

Oh my gosh!!! This is AWESOME!!! :heart_eyes: I can’t even tell you how much I love this!! Thank you!!!
Is there somewhere I can throw you at least a tip?
I’ve already used the last shapes countless times, but this is gonna help so much!!

3 Likes

I love the hexagonal puzzle pieces! That is amazing!!

Now I need to make a puzzle…

3 Likes

Thank you for the generous share of your talent and hard work.

5 Likes

@Draradech thank you for your generous contributions to this community.
Hexagons are wonderful!
Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of a circular puzzle generator with concentric circles along these lines:

Maybe for the hopper? :wink:

10 Likes

I like that design, but I don’t think I could get close to that. It would need to be much more regular, as during generation the script is unaware of what it has generated before. It can’t “think”: oh, there’s a puzzle tab there, can’t place a dividing line at the same place. So the generated structure has to be rigid beforehand. At least currently :grin:. I’ll keep thinking about it, but don’t get your hopes up…

4 Likes

Thank you for this wonderful update!

1 Like

Not a generator, per se, but pretty trivial to make in Illustrator with a pattern brush - this took about 5 minutes to do:

Start by making a segment puzzle edge, I clipped this out of a full puzzle svg I found online. Note that the start and end points are aligned. Convert the segment to a pattern brush.

Draw a concentric circle grid of your choosing:

Apply the pattern brush to all the interior lines and you get the first image. A few of the anchor points need to be tidied and connected due to the line wiggle but that’s no more than another 5 minutes work. “Wiggle density” can easily be adjusted by changing the stroke weight:

Once you have a favorite puzzle edge brush you can make any shapes you want: spiral, grid, kooky freehand loops:

(PS - for those not familiar with AI pattern brushes, since they’re essentially a visual effect on the original line, you need to “object/path/expand” them to turn them into real lines GF can cut)

Edit: Here’s the AI file of the above if anyone wants to play with it:
circle puzzle test.ai (460.6 KB)

19 Likes

This is amazing. Thank you.

2 Likes

I’ve both used this and recommended this many times, and it’s terrific… and keeps getting better!

4 Likes

Wow! I really need to look into pattern brushes. Thanks!

3 Likes