Jigsaw puzzle. Question

I tried creating a jigsaw puzzle for my niece on fusion 360 n export it as a PDF.
Line offset 0.050 ( what offset should i make it ? )
When i laser cut it. As you can see the spacing is kinda big. Does it suppose to be like that ?

out of curiosity, why are you creating an offset for puzzle pieces? by default, you already have the width of the kerf in between the pieces.

i’ve made a bunch of puzzles (and the maestro, @jbmanning5 has probably made thousands). i know i don’t add any offset and i’m 99% sure he isn’t either. and i’ve found that’s enough offset for the puzzle pieces to work together.

i actually use a web site that can create the puzzle pieces for you in whatever size/scale you want and then download in SVG format. it was specifically designed for laser cutters. so the lines cut all horizontal and vertical, instead of cutting out each piece individually, which also speeds up the cut process.

now, if you’re just doing it to do it and to learn/make it yourself, nothing wrong with that. just letting you know there’s a site out there that can help with the hard work.

7 Likes

Just got this in and it’s all spoken for. Not sure if I want to laugh or cry :joy:

I wouldn’t create any offset or maybe I don’t understand how you’re designing it.

8 Likes

What @shop said, there is no need for a double line.

1 Like

Ahh ok I see where I f up
I 3d printed one and i had to offset it
And that offset got stuck on my mind

I just did a small test print and yeah
Way way better
Thank you @shop

7 Likes

yeah, 3D printing would be a different story.

that’s it? i thought you said you had a LOT of puzzles to cut.

4 Likes

:joy: I don’t have an exact unit count. That’s 2,000 puzzles worth of board and I know that stack is entirely gone.

6 Likes

Haha! One of them is mine I hope! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If I knew which one…!

2 Likes

Hint : not the best seller :grin:

I can wait my turn, it’ll be well worth it!

1 Like

OMG! Production overload.

2 Likes

That makes sense - additive vs subtractive process. Have to build the kerf into 3D/additive process, and minimize kerf in subtractive.

1 Like

Holy moly! Rio is going to need another assistant or two…

3 Likes

Yikes! Back breaking! Speaking of breaks, I hope you get one soon.

2 Likes

I hired some help, but it’s excruciating.

2 Likes

Old fashioned (commercially produced) jig saw puzzles are die cut; that means no material is removed, and the pieces fit tightly. Now a real jigsaw puzzle of course would have clearance between pieces equal to or greater than the width of the blade.
Our laser “jigsaw” has a blade about .004" to .008" wide. No need to widen that for sure.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s 100% correct. Even a die would likely create some kerf. Not no mention a little rounding of the top of the chipboard as the die edge pushed down.

1 Like

Yeah, the front side gets a soft rounded look as the material compresses. The back side is generally pretty well tight. I believe that very little material is lost - it just gets compressed a tiny bit. I am referring to the “pasteboard” puzzles I made as a kid.

I mean, very little material is lost in the laser cutter. Into not like a saw blade kerf. The reality is that it’s probably compressed as much as lost. But a die is still a blade. And it does still have width. There’s still a kerf or you’d never be able to fit those pieces together without a mallet.