Joining panels in Inkscape

The panels I created is too large for the Glowforge. I recall seeing someone join panels using Inkscape (see image). As a very novice user of Inkscape, can someone point me to a tutorial or tips on how to make the panels in Inkscape??

1 Like

This is a simple case, where you want to break a shape into two chunks, then make your butt joint profile and perhaps kerf adjust.

I say that like “oh nbd” which to a new user probably sounds like a lot, but trust me it’s not that tricky once you get the hang of it.

In order for us to help you, is your original shape already kerf adjusted (AKA adjusted to account for the thickness of the cut)?

BTW you are pretty close to the end result as it is. You should look at node editing in inkscape, that may be the only piece of the process that you’re missing.

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Extensions-ModifyPath.html#Extensions-AddNodes

A good place to start.

1 Like

Also @eflyguy posted this tutorial just the other day :slight_smile:

*unrelated, but I’d been “reading” your handle as @elfguy since I first saw it - typing it for the first time today I realize that’s not it at all!

3 Likes

In this case, if the box is already kerf adjusted eflyguy’s method is not ideal. We need to know more specifics before we can recommend a solution.

1 Like

No it is not.

This is how I’d do it:

The only difference is that you’d want to break your box panel into two pieces and use those instead of a rectangle as described in the linked post.

Super!! Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.