Jumped on tile wagon

Everything up to 100 power are the same. Full power is different for each.

Yes, it can get very bright but the brightness isn’t hurting the machine. It can hurt your eyes. The glowforge glasses protect against IR, not bright light. So don’t stare at it.

2 Likes

I certainly understand your apprehension. Nobody wants to damage a shared tool, and lasers are new to many of us. There are materials that can cause harm to lasers, but ceramic tiles, slate, rocks, etc. are not such materials. With a little more experience, you will be watching the laser because it is so satisfying to see the magic, and you won’t be holding your breath you will be anxiously awaiting the end of the job so you can start the next one. I encourage you to exercise caution (never leave the Glowforge unattended) be prepared for a flare up (opening the lid immediately stops the laser) and experiment with settings. Here is an explanation of manual settings: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/working-with-manual-mode

1 Like

Thank you, all! This is really helpful and reassuring.

when you say “scrubbed/wiped off”, what method are you referring to? I made my first engraved tile yesterday and after coloring in with a black sharpie I couldn’t get the edges clean. Everyone else’s tiles look so nice so I’m trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong :sweat_smile: Do I need a cleaning solution? A specific scrubber type (paper towel, rag, Magic Eraser, etc.)? Help :confused:

It’s posted above.

The “Mr Clean” style pads work great.

What do you mean by edge? Do you mean an edge of the tile without glazing? Because that probably isn’t coming off without a Dremel. Otherwise the sharpie usually wipes off pretty easy.

1 Like