Just finished up a Wedding Gift Photo

I have been playing around with burning photos, and did this as a wedding gift. The photo was processed in Gimp using the da gimping plugin v3 and burned on Baltic birch plywood. The frame I made from bloodwood and finished it with walrus oil.

25 Likes

Did you intend to include a picture? That’s what this forum section is about, showcasing your creations…

5 Likes

And is “walrus oil” a typo? If not that’s a first here.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up…pic is loaded

3 Likes

No typo…walrus oil is a thing….I assume it is less exotic than it sounds, since it is made in Ozark Missouri. I typically use it on cutting boards, but it really makes bloodwood and similar exotic woods really pop.

6 Likes

That turned out well. Photos are amongst the most difficult things to print…

7 Likes

Thanks….I have had some luck using this process…still dialing in all of the settings but each burn seems to be a bit better than the last.

5 Likes

Is there a particular job the plug in does that is not included in gimp?

3 Likes

“proprietary wood finish recipe made up of Coconut Oil, Mineral Oil, Vitamin E, and Beeswax”

I imagine that does look great!

9 Likes

I don’t think there is anything that the plugin does that you could not do in Gimp…the plugin automates the process somewhat and makes things much more straightforward. Once you run the plugin, then you can fine tune your image in Gimp to finalize before the burn.

4 Likes

When I saw it, I was wondering if was a “Motor Oil” or a “Olive Oil”. Is it made for your Walrus, or made from Walrus, kinda thing.

4 Likes

Walrus oil was named for the inventor, due to his interesting mustache that made him look a bit like a walrus. It’s a mix of Coconut Oil, Mineral Oil, Vitamin E, and Beeswax.

6 Likes

Very nice frame, and extra special because you engraved it, too.

1 Like

Hmmm, I just happen to have samples of each of those ingredients…

6 Likes

That came out really well. Nice job on the photo editing.

2 Likes

You did a great job on this! I love making photos. Beautiful frame!

2 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like