Just for laughs, but still true

24 Likes

Yes…and I really wanted to go there the last few weeks…but right now, I feel like I need to be in Alaska.

3 Likes

Today it only got upto 112F, but it’s a dry heat. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Spent some time in the gypsum hills west of there, running metal detectors around some old mining camps. We found a few things of value (mostly pewter), but largest haul was half a bucket of lead chunks from a section of adobe wall. We figured it must have been the local bar (or gun shop - as in try before you buy).

As to that dry heat, it is a problem. The sweat dries as fast as it is made and you do not realize you are dehydrating, like when you are sweat soaked. Have to remember to drink.

4 Likes

Is that why RT air fair to Vegas is so cheap right now

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Having grown up in the San Joaquin Valley and eight years in Arizona, we used to joke about the “dry heat.” After moving to Tennessee, we no longer joked about it - it’s a real thing! Never had a swimming pool, even in Arizona where we’d be building block patios out in the 120 degree temps without shade, until we moved here to Tennessee! The first summer when it hit 80 degrees and we were putting in a vegetable garden, I thought I was gonna die! I told my husband we definitely needed a swimming pool, and we got one! So yep, dry heat! Kinda miss it!

8 Likes

Yep. Lived most of my life on a peninsula in Southern MD surrounded by water on the lower Chesapeake bay. The temps would get above 100F a couple days a year but normally only in the mid 90s with high humidity. Every summer engineering teams from locations bordering Death Valley and the Mojave Dessert would spend weeks at my work. Today it will be 117F for them. But invariably I would hear comments when they visited like “My God, how can you people stand this heat?” I would laugh and explain we were used to breathing water.

5 Likes

In Missouri it’s going to be close to 100 but the humidity is what is a killer!!

3 Likes

I know it’s no big deal to you folks who live in these places, but I remember some years ago I had a trip that involved some work stuff in the San Francisco bay area and then I decided to drive to Los Angeles to stay a few days with a friend of mine. So I got in my rental car in that nice cool SFO weather and started driving.

Because the air conditioner was on the whole time, it was a cool 68°F in the car and I wasn’t particularly aware of the weather. I remember driving past romaine lettuce for what seemed like an hour at one point. So that’s where it all comes from.

But then I glanced down at the display on the car and it said the outside temperature was 110. I got really curious, then. I don’t think I’d ever experienced 110 degrees. I pulled over at the next opportunity. The place was called Paso Robles. I opened the door. I stepped out of the car. I got the hell back in the car and kept driving.

10 Likes

So true! We’ve adapted after 5 years here, but still… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep. In the San Joaquin Valley (I grew up in Fresno/Clovis), it was nothing to be over 102 degrees at 2am. It just never cools off. We lived for 5 years while my husband was going to college in Scotts Valley, 7 miles in from Santa Cruz. During the summers it was the foggy months, as the heat from the SJV and Sacramento Valleys got so hot it pulled in the moisture from the coast. We lived where we could see the main highway going from San Jose into Santa Cruz. It would be lined up, bumper to bumper, with the valleys going to the beaches for the day, not knowing it was fogged in. We’d go to the beach in the evenings when everyone was going home and the fog was gone. No matter where you live, it’s something. I also lived (until age 5) up in Evergreen, Colorado, where it starts snowing in August and you still have snow on the ground in June. Don’t know that there’s such a thing as perfect weather.

1 Like

I keep waiting for someone to say “It’s a Cool Heat”

3 Likes

Not sure about a cool heat, but it only snows here in Vegas once every 10 years or so. :upside_down_face:

Yay no shoveling snow, like ever! :grin::grin::grin:

3 Likes

We hit 118 this week in Phoenix. Someone on Reddit posted a photo of the thermometer in their car and said they thought it was broken until they remembered it was just June in AZ.

6 Likes

When we lived in Arizona (Globe, San Tan Valley), I actually ended up with heat stroke one day when we were riding our motorcycle. The heat from the pavement was 134+. I didn’t think I was going to make it home. After that, we were very careful whenever we rode the motorcycle in the heat.

2 Likes

That’s too much :rofl:. We installed the ac’s yesterday because we couldn’t take it anymore. When we moved to CA from NY 10 years ago, I thought the heat the CA was the craziest thing. It was so dry.

When we left NY, it was 105 degrees and HUMID). It hurt your lungs to go outside and breathe and I really couldn’t remember ny being any hotter than it was that year.

In CA, it was easily 105, but it felt like 80 because of the lack of humidity. And when you stepped into the shade, it felt 10 degrees cooler. And at night, it was freezing!!

But lately, like starting from last year, it feels like an increase in humidity here in CA. Not east coast levels mind you, but paired with our extreme heat and sun, it’s very unpleasant-not humid enough to feel wet air on your skin - more like a sun magnifying glass.

I’d like to think it’s not just me, because yesterday’s 80s made me feel like I was going to melt, the the 97 the day before really got me considering an artic adventure despite my inability to handle the cold. I wouldn’t even dream about a trip to Vegas right now. I don’t think it car could make it through the desert.

4 Likes

It’s amazing what we adapt to.

1 Like

LOL never been but I do know it is really hot . This is great

2 Likes

Places that do not have snow usually have too much water (ignoring the desert - even though there are dry wash grooves that are formed from occasional torrential rains - we got battered by one of those until we got under under the jeep).
So the choice seems to be stuff floating away or being buried under mounds of frozen water.
And that is without the new and improved vortex weather. (We had a week long vortex back in 63 that left a foot of water in the garage, We just called it a storm back then because what did we know…)

Joking and anecdotes aside, since you have no control over it, you have to find a place with weather you are willing to abide, or at best adjust to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.