Just some fun with acrylic engraving

Been playing around engraving some stamps for leather work and was starting to get some good results with some fine details. So I ended up making these, just a greyscale depth map and the right settings. afterwards I coated them with flat white paint. Dimensions 3.7"x6.7"

Here is a quick video I made so that it looks like the sun is setting over the terrain and through it looked neat, it almost disappears as the end because it is such a thin coat of paint on only on the one side of the clear acrylic.

Also tried stamping them into leather with limited success, and also forgot to make it a negative for the stamp so it all came out wrong.

Then decided to try and convert a color depth image into grayscale so found a picture of newfoundland

Fiddled settings in inkscape till i came up with this

and ended with this, dimensions 4.4"x5.6"

Nothing too special just thought they were neat.

Also making some more Christmas ornaments this year but combined the settings i have for marking tiles to wood And getting some decently detailed photos :). The dimensions are 5"X3.65"

29 Likes

Interesting!

1 Like

The sunset video is pretty cool. And your photo engraving is outstanding!

4 Likes

The easy way to get landscape grayscales is a lot easier than fiddling in Inkscape but I would love to know how you fiddled in Inkscape,

3 Likes

Wow, that’s cool! Did it take a long time to engrave?

1 Like

The fiddling i did was pretty specific to that photo i posted but these are the settings i used under, filters-color-grayscale. You can grab the pic from above and apply these settings. Its a balance between all 4 variables and hard to explain.

The one spot it fails is when the height map photo goes to white at the very highest and this filter ends up making those spots slightly lower than the surrounding.

3 Likes

The first one took about 3 hrs and the newfoundland one took 7 hrs just because i wanted to try the settings at the max lpi for fun.

2 Likes

Happy birthday :balloon:
Fun treasure hunt there! Material/method exploration was some of the most fun I had with the pre-release unit!

1 Like

Thanks
and oh Happy birthday!

1 Like

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Happy birthday!

1 Like