Justice League Edge Lit Sign with Laser Foil

Thanks! I’ve ordered Oracal from Signwarehouse and never knew they carried a polyester foil.

2 Likes

This is fantastic! Nicely done! I’m actually surprised how good it looks when lit AND not lit.

3 Likes

This works! This is the method professional use to PPF cars.

3 Likes

Did you peel the adhesive from outside the score lines and it came off easily enough?

1 Like

Yes, peeled off after the scoring. It came off cleanly, but does become more permanent over time. Only apply to material that you’ll use relatively quickly. Don’t do a bunch of sheets and store them for later use. I haven’t tried it on other material, like draft board. I don’t know how easily it would come off that. I may try it in a day or so and I’ll tag you in a post about the results. The hardest part was applying the foil to the acrylic without any bubbles.

2 Likes

Your project looks really nice! I’ll create some trophies with that technique.

2 Likes

Is their appearance of equal quality? Do the two materials last the same? The image samples for Oracal don’t seem as premium as the Johnson Plastics.

1 Like

I haven’t used the Oracal, so I can’t weigh in on that.

1 Like

It’s really nice, shiny stuff. Very thin, so it will show every bump underneath, but I like it that way. Don’t know anything about the Johnson Plastics stuff.

1 Like

So, What I’m getting, after trying to wrap my head around all of this, is that if I laser foil Acrylic, it’s to be scored, and not engraved? To cut the piece up, raise the power to get through all of the masking? Got it … I think

2 Likes

There is no masking involved. The laser foil is adhesive. You cut your design. It stays on the acrylic and everything else is removed. You remove masking from the acrylic in the area you are going to foil before placing the laser foil.

4 Likes

Very slick!

2 Likes

So, cut the acrylic first (and don’t move it!) and then place the laser foil on top and run the GF again?

I am not sure what you are making. The laser foil is like a sticker, or veneer. It stays on whatever you adhere it to. If you want it in only parts of a design, you kiss cut the edge and peel away the laser foil that you don’t want left behind. Here is a video: There is also a good video previously in this thread.

6 Likes

This is exactly the video I used when I first tested using laser foil…it’s a good one.