Kaizen / EVA Foam - Pelican case for Drone

I’m a big fan of Kaizen foam, and have a bunch of my photography gear in different pelican cases. I got a DJI Mavic 2 Pro earlier this year, and have been meaning to cut some of this foam on the glowforge. The problem with the Kaizen inserts is they are too tall (2.0"), but I did 3 passes anyway to get some lines to use as a template. I used a exacto-knife to manually cut what the laser didn’t. I used a thin layer of red EVA foam as a top layer. I have room to add a couple more batteries, but everything I need fits in the Pelican case to protect the drone in transport. I’m happy with the results.

44 Likes

Very professional.

2 Likes

That top layer of red EVA really makes a huge difference. Looks great, nice work!

4 Likes

What do you use to bond the two together? I’d reach for '77 but not sure if that would eat the Kaizen (I’ve never used it)…

1 Like

3M General Purpose 45 Spray Adhesive

2 Likes

Thx - I have photog. and RC Model applications as well, but primarily thinking of toolbox organization.

2 Likes

@pubultrastar great layout would you mind sharing some pics of your photo gear set up as far as foam goes lasered or not needing to do the same but not really sure of location for items.

Nice! That looks like a cool drone. Are we gonna see some footage?

1 Like

Very nice! I am a big RC guy and it’s nice to know this is possible on the GF. I have a Mavic Pro as well, but I am more into FPV racing. I am thinking about designing some small box cases, and possibly doing some foam inserts. I bet they would sell really well.

Here is some footage from an indoor drone race in case anyone wants to see how fun this hobby can be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These are from my original Mavic…

2 Likes

I love Drone Racing League on ESPN. Would love to try that someday.

1 Like

Wow, amazing!

1 Like

Is this what you were looking for?

7 Likes

So nice!

1 Like

This is great as it explains what it all is for those not familiar with your particular set up but I meant a pic of your camera gear cutouts/case.

Looks great and I can think of several uses for the same…
I am assuming that Kaizen foam is safe for laser cutting?

You wouldnt have these cut lines still?
I just got a Mavic 2 Pro and I am needing to do this exact this.
Your layout is heavenly.

There ya go.
Pelican Case Bottom-2

2 Likes

Awesome thanks!
What was the outer square’s L&W?
Inkscape likes to change the scale too much.