Kanai's Cube from Diablo 3

I have made a few things like this before but I wanted to share this particular one since I was pleased with how it turned out.

It’s a replica of the Kanai Cube from Diablo 3. I have been playing a lot of Diablo 4 and kind of wanted a desk reminder of my enjoyment of the game.

The basics are from the Maker case Generator and I mapped out the kanai design in inkscape. The screens are rice paper and I made a tiny circuit board on CNC to power the LEDs.

These are Flicker LEDs in red and yellow so it has a very fiery appearance. The project has also spawned a few variants…

I think they may have started breeding…

42 Likes

Super cool

10 Likes

Wow! They give such a beautiful glow against the design.

12 Likes

I love the small scale and the decorative elements on the finger joints. Well done.

12 Likes

I love that! Didn’t realize how small it was until it was in your hand.

9 Likes

Those are great! Were you able to buy the light chip whole?

6 Likes

I like the engraving on the finger joints too. Just adds something to the total look. Thank you for sharing.

7 Likes

Those turned out awesome. Love the designs. And I didn’t notice the joint designs until I saw other comments. Love it!

6 Likes

@rvogt There are two versions there. The top ones are about 3 inches and the tiny one at the bottom is about 1.6 inches.

@rbtdanforth The circuit board was something I made on CNC

It gets cut out with a 1mm bit, cleaned up with a scotch bright pad and soldered with lights, resisters and a USB connector (I ignore the data pins since I just want power).

12 Likes

i imagine one could paste a few of these to the same base plate to make a wireless version.

6 Likes

Do you mean to take the LED and switches out of them? I have several packs of that type of candle that I bought a couple years ago at Hobby Lobby that are just sitting there, still in their packages. It would be nice to be able to use them in other things like book nooks, etc., without the candle design.

5 Likes

Ooh, glowy! Love it.

7 Likes

I was afraid of that. I went all over Amazon and a few other places and did not find anything that nice and useful. I am pretty useless doing my own electronics but I really like the lamps. I have 12 of them in the catalog but the lights that you don’t wear out the battery I like best.

4 Likes

i would start by just using a handful of them as is. figure out how to secure without giving up the ability to change batteries. keep one face of the cube so that it opens to allow battery changes.

7 Likes

Those are great. Glad you shared them.

7 Likes

Nicely done! Great project!

7 Likes

Very cool, and nice that you can do the electronics yourself. I’d have to do the votive light version…

5 Likes

This could be done on stripboard pretty easily. Shogun’s custom PCB is cool but not 100% necessary. If you can solder you could pull this off without a custom board. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can solder but I have no knowledge.

3 Likes

@shogun, care to share a BOM?

3 Likes