Keeping track of settings

Ok, this is going to sound like sacrilege, but I’ve taken to jotting down all my custom settings on the GF’s glass top with a dry erase marker. If you’ve seen A Beautiful Mind you know what I’m talking about.

As I zero in on custom settings, I make lots of finicky changes and was forever forgetting which set of notes was the most current. This way I can wipe away the value to be revised (usually with my fingertip :smirk:) and jot down the new one. Once I’m happy with a print, I record the final values in a more permanent form.

For production jobs, I also note alignments and any procedural notes that I’m likely to forget before each run.

32 Likes

That actually sounds like a very neat idea. It allows you an immediate reference while keeping more permanent records only for the final details. I like it. (I’m not sure it will work with 2 cats, but worth a try.)

6 Likes

Very clever. I like it.

2 Likes

My cats won’t come near my GF. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve done unspeakable things on that tempered glass but somehow I never thought of taking notes on it.

9 Likes

Mine never seem afraid of the vacuum, etc, only sudden noises (sneezing/coughing and the like). Tiny panther also has this thing for pushing buttons. It will be curious, I’m sure.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: You what???

(J/K…I’d probably do it myself but the machine is across the room, and I can’t see that far.)

4 Likes

Ooh, I like that idea. Right now the GF is in a separate room from the computer where I talk to the GFUI, but in another couple weeks that will be just what I want. Maybe china marker.

5 Likes

Haha… While I respect it and could see how it would work well I just bought a 2 pack of lysol wipes so I can clean my machine regularly. I also purchased a box of lens wipes. Sometimes OCD is annoying… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Brilliant! Think I will try it, even though there are cat prints all over my Glowforge (never have caught him on it though).

3 Likes

That’s a fantastic idea! I’ve been writing in a small notebook but my log taking is as organized as my brain and office (NOT) so that would help curb the multiple scribble marks in my handy dandy notebook

1 Like

I use wikidPad for all my notes nowadays. Much better than pen and paper.

1 Like

I’m planning a combination of toppad, notepad++, and a spreadsheet or db. dry erase right on the glowforge will probably figure in, too.

2 Likes

lol, I love that idea! One more item to keep by my Glowforge, Dry Erase marker.

2 Likes

Just remember: if you accidentally use permanent marker, isopropyl alcohol is your friend.

3 Likes

Old teacher’s trick, taught to me by an old teacher. :innocent:

4 Likes

You can also scribble it out with a dry-erase marker, then erase.

2 Likes

Our teachers use shaving cream for that.

2 Likes

And it leaves your Glowforge smelling all minty, to cover up the smoke smell. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yea, our kids come home smelling like Old Spice.

5 Likes