Keepsake box for nephew's birthday

Made a simple box for my nephew to stash some memorabilia from his recently-passed grandfather.

Box is thick maple, lid is back-engraved medium frosted. Adapted from festi.info, I added some stoppers to the hinge to prevent the lid from flopping over.

Like his uncle, Braden has some “social issues,” so I added a little encouragement.

53 Likes

Very nice, and I love the hidden message!

4 Likes

Very nice job on that! The hinge-stop is great, and the castellated rim with the finger joints consolidate the design very well. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The castellated rim was an afterthought, after realizing that the rearmost lid plate has very little connection to the rest of the lid. The front is similar (no fingers) but at least there’s more interfacing material, and it’s not a torque point.

The “ring” is just an attempt to keep it from snapping off, by adding more meat for glueing.

Top Tip: Don’t make your lid height low-profile enough that there’s no room for a finger joint on all 4 corners.

7 Likes

First time I’ve seen acrylic used in a lid box. It really does make it look more ‘finished’ than most boxes.

3 Likes

Wonderful for keepsakes!

2 Likes

Love your positive message inside.

2 Likes

Great gift!

2 Likes

That’s quite a unique box, and a really lovely design!

2 Likes

Beautiful work! Definitely a keepsake to cherish.

2 Likes

Well done.

2 Likes

That turned out just lovely! A very thoughtful gift, and love the acrylic top.

1 Like

Brilliant hinge stop idea. Never saw that before but it just makes so much sense.

Lovely! The hinge stop was a great design addition.