Kid Drawn Darth Vader Ornament

Hey All,

So I’ve been working a little fruitlessly on some Laser Thursday project that haven’t quite come to fruition yet. About ten minutes before we started last night I got a text from my wife of a picture our five year old son drew. He’s been just a little excited about Star Wars lately :wink:

When I got the text I immediately knew i wanted to make him an ornament. I brought the picture into photoshop, cleaned it up to isolate the black lines, then added a white background and black outline.

With help from @dan that image was translated into and illustrator file and cut and engraved from the same red and white two tone acrylic I used for the wrestlers (same piece actually). Before removing the backing, I taped off the “lightsaber” section and colored in all of the rest of the engraving black with a sharpie.

As a last step I cut a small hole in the head, added an ornament hook and hung it on the tree for him to discover in the morning.

12 Likes

Yeah for laser Thursday! Woke up at 2:00 AM and noticed we had YouTube video. Thanks.

Where? I can’t find it! Are all the Laser Thursdays videoed?

It’s a tease of seven seconds:

Read through the whole topic and the link will be there. Also, you might want to subscribe to Glowforge’s YouTube channel. It’s sparse but I suspect it will grow.