Kinda proud of this one (Banknote engraving portrait)

I hate the reason I’m making this memorial project, but I got to learn a new “banknote engraving” technique, and I’m pleased with how it turned out.

Original image, and what I ended up with after about 5 hrs.

57 Likes

Great work! Very honoring.

3 Likes

Wow great result.

6 Likes

The final result is impressive. The time invested in file prep paid off.

4 Likes

That is amazing. I love the technique you have used there. But sorry to hear that it is for a memorial.

Very honoring.

2 Likes

THAT IS excellent!!

Jonathan

2 Likes

So cool! How do you convert the image? I tried to find it myself, and now Google thinks I want to make my own bank notes, so the FBI should be showing up at my door any minute. :scream:

11 Likes

“In Jon we Trust” I like the sound of that!

There are lots of filters that will do this….

https://www.google.com/search?q=emgraving+filter

Then there are online services that do similar things…

Etc

It also reminds me of squigglecam. Previously:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Squigglecam

10 Likes

THAT is wonderful! Great idea for technique…one that I wouldn’t have thought of.

1 Like

What a beautiful memorial.

1 Like

Yeah, the Photofunia site did a better job than most and I was impressed with it, but it couldn’t give me the exact effect I was looking for with lines going in different directions. And of course, there are lots of Adobe brushes and scripts that would have made it a whole lot easier, but none for Corel that I could find. But at least now that I worked through it and wrapped my brain around how to achieve it, things should go quicker the next time.

This was the technique I adapted a bit for Corel, and it was by far the most comprehensive and usable tutorial I found. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a Corel blending mode that mimics Adobe’s “hard mix” merge/blend mode and that made it tougher than it should have been. I had to use what looked like the closest merge mode in Corel (which was the “color dodge” mode), and it worked, but I don’t think it works on the same principle as “hard mix” which reacts differently depending on the fill opacity. I wish I could find the exact equivalent though because the guy at Texturelabs has some amazing tutorials and he uses it a lot.

10 Likes

He was far too young. :frowning:
Your engraving is amazing!!! Certainly a spectacular photo to begin with. So much wow here!

2 Likes