Kindling "Basket"

I like it!!

2 Likes

“Oh, this old thing…” It’s gorgeous! Please share all the things…

5 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve got my brother helping. :smile:
(I’m so screwed.)

Thanks for the kind comments folks. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Now look here little missy…listen up…I don’t want to hear any more of that “I’m not as good %&@#” outta your mouth! This is me shaking my finger at you a la mother-style. :wink: :heart_eyes: That, Jules, is absolutely gorgeous. Your work is SO precision and pristine looking. Thank you for bucking up and relenting to show it. I love it.

6 Likes

Yes’m. :wink:
(Not gonna take a chance on angering you. :grimacing:)

BTW, like the new avatar. :smile:

3 Likes

Nice mailbox, i have almost the same one!

6 Likes

Truly extraordinary! The fan alone is amazing and then there is the dark on light and the traditional v-carve sun shape and just when you think you understand it and zoom it to the point pixels in the corners it is even more amazing.

yep

4 Likes

Inherited from dad’s estate. It’s still got the combination to open the box inside…I need to think of something to do with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now I’m kind of sorry I didn’t show the other one…got a little tired of finding glue in strange and unnatural places though. :smile:

For the record, it is not easy to hold that shape while gluing.

4 Likes

Always happy to see stuff you make.

2 Likes

I think it’s lovely!

2 Likes

Whoa! That’s a really cool design. Nice work! :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow that’s really nice! Can we get a close-up of that cool detailing? Looks like these pics are actual size and I get see that fine detail.

2 Likes

Eventually, but not this morning…got a refrigerator repair guy due any minute…and i need to finish emptying and wiping down. :smile:

3 Likes

That is a really unique use of a living hinge.
Paint it black and someone could easily think it was iron.

On a different note… I have never heard of using pine cones as fire starters. Do they work well? I usually take one piece of wood and bust it into 25-30 strips. Holds me for 5 or 6 fires, then bust up another.

1 Like

I no longer have a fireplace but I would think that our Glowforges would provide that in great excess. Also the Southern Longleaf Pine has been called Fatwood for a reason . When I did have a fireplace I would use it to light fires and a splinter of that might burn for 30 min unaided.

Boats built with it taken up north split very badly as the sap freezes but it gums up termites and breaks their teeth as the wood is hard. In far Southern Florida an extreme form evolved as it was never freezing, but so highly prized it is now all but extinct but still occurs in old nice houses.

A friend who had such a house 100+ yrs old tried without success to pound a nail in it and broke a couple drills trying to make a hole for a nail but finally did succeed. But the house smelled of fresh cut pine for a week.

I would guess Longleaf pine cones would be prized as well

2 Likes

If you salt pine cones with various copper salts, they burn a variety of different colors… you can get them on Amazon. :slightly_smiling_face:
I guess plain pine cones probably wouldn’t make great fire starters, but I don’t know…I’ve never tried.

1 Like

AH yes copper is classic Lithium makes a stunning red.
If you can manage to get a pair of Didymium glasses, the Sodium Yellow is blocked out (also a big part of the infrared when around lasers) and it makes colors really pop!
I discovered a very exclusive Grocery store in Post Oak in Houston (where a GF worked) was using Neodymium lights in their meat department. That when you reached in to get a nice looking steak your hand would look like a nice looking steak as well.

1 Like

That’s interesting!

Good point on the GF scrap. That should burn great! I will be placing that in it’s own pile now.

It’s strange that if it’s not sitting next to the fireplace, it doesn’t register as good kindling. Maybe that’s just me.

I have never heard that. I might need to get a few of those and surprise the wife next time she wants a fire. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like