Kitchen Knife Sayas (covers)

As a chef and collector of high end kitchen cutlery, I started a side business with my 'forge making things like magnetic knife racks, which i have posted previously, and other kitchen gear. I also have taken on some awesome projects of making knife covers aka Saya, for some of my fellow knife enthusiasts(nothing for myself yet, of course!) . The sides(faces) are maple, with basswood frame between(softer wood for touching the blade edge of the knife). The insides are lined with felt, and the construction is completed with wood glue and dowels. The straps are inlaid via engrave and are cork fabric. Everything is cut on the glowforge, and then Hand sanded/finished. Just working on how I want the details/style/feel/quality to exemplify my brand.

Thanks for looking!

41 Likes

I like your dowels. Hardwood dowels are useful for so much, if anyone’s looking for them, woodcraft carries a lot of species.

7 Likes

Very cool! I have a chef’s knife with a wooden case that keeps the blade edge off the wood with a couple of strong magnets in the spine edge of the case. It seems to work well, and keeps the case on the knife well. This may be a option to look into also.

7 Likes

Beautiful! Maybe one day in my next life I can make something like this for my husband.

4 Likes

That sounds cool, would you happen to have a picture of that? I am a very visual learner

2 Likes

Try this. I can’t take a photo since the magnet is embedded into the spine edge of the case, so I sketched it.

Note2.pdf (29.9 KB)

1 Like

Those are lovely

3 Likes

Your chef friends are going to love these!

3 Likes

Very sharp!!!

1 Like

Truly a work of art. I think I like the Saya better than the knife!

1 Like