Kitty Treat Machine

I quite enjoy that you are training MIDI to put her head in a dog’s mouth.

That or she is being trained to smack dogs in the nose looking for treats.

Can’t decide.

3 Likes

Amen. We have a sweet but stoopid diabetic cat that gets treats after her shot 2x daily. Her sister (the smart one) knows this and waits patiently until she gets three – not one, not two, not four-- treats of her own. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hahaha!

Starbucks gave us a heart attack lately hence why I haven’t been around much. He lost 3 pounds which is VERY concerning since he is a Ragdoll and should be about 17-18 pounds.

Anyways - after full examination, he is borderline diabetic… I didn’t know cat could get diabetes…

Vet says it’s not severe, we just have to change his diet. Thank God!

Hoping he will gain back the 3 pounds he lost soon!

4 Likes

Great news! The whole “injection every 12 hours for the rest of her life” thing makes for quite the lifestyle adjustment. :syringe: :scream_cat::crying_cat_face: Catsitters willing to give injections are few and far between. Adjusting their diet is much easier!

3 Likes

My sweet kitty MeNow is diabetic. She gets a shot 2x day of Lantus, plus now eats Fancy Feast Pate (only the pate version) as it is fairly close to the more expensive vet prescription diet. I do buy Royal Canin dry food for treats. If you do have to go to insulin it is not hard, and I do blood glucose curves on her periodically.

1 Like

That is very impressive! I would love to have something like this as a feeder for when I go away… or maybe just in general. I feel like half my life is getting bugged by the cat for food. Sorry to hear about your cat, though.:cry:

1 Like

Extremely common actually. They are mostly type 1 diabetic (the autoimmune insulin dependent one, not the typical american I eat tons of carbs type). Although interestingly unlike humans where type 1 usually is in kids, cats mostly develop type 1 later in life. My wife sees so many diabetic cats, it’s a major part of her practice.

1 Like

Wow - new things I learn everyday!

I’m just glad that Starbucks is putting back some weight now with his new diet. Our Vet will check him again in a week to check the sugar level. He doesn’t seem too concern that this is serious. Thank God!

1 Like

Hmmm. Are feline insulin pumps a Thing?

No, since insulin pumps aren’t autonomous they are simply basically a motorized syringe in practice. You set the volume and press the button to inject. Cats don’t read very well and wouldn’t be safe setting the insulin dosing. Some day they will be bionic pancreases but given the fear that the CGM sensors aren’t super reliable long term nobody as yet is willing to trust them for doing PID closed loop insulin delivery.

2 Likes