Knife handle restoration

This is a small job that would have been much harder without the Glowforge.

We often get handles of well loved knives in here to be fixed. Mostly sentimental things - my granddad’s knife or my mother’s kitchen knife.

This one was made by the Western Cutlery Company, Boulder Colorado in the 1950’s.

It had a leather handle made in a way I hadn’t see before. A strange H shared piece wedged in between a double tang . To cut them out by hand would have been a nightmare, but easy on the Glowforge.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Now to find a picture of the sheath to make a replacement.

48 Likes

Turned out great :slight_smile: i always wondered how they did the stacked leather on those ones, didn’t know they had a double tang but makes perfect sense now. Did you swap out the pins as well or were they brass before? I see a drill bit in one of the photos so i think you might have had to drill them out?

1 Like

Yes had to drill it out and replace the pins. Hadn’t seen a double tang one before, mostly a hidden tang with an O style leather spacer.

3 Likes

Would be cool to remake another one but swap out the leather for sheets of paper or some other medium like that. wouldn’t be traditional and would be a nightmare to cut all the layers possibly but could turn out pretty cool. or layers of acrylic

Great work! Simple project with great results!

Neat to see how the handle was put together - I’d never given it much thought before. Lovely restoration.

Very nice photo essay of the build.

1 Like

Almost every knife in that style we have ever seen all came with a sheath/scabbard like the one in the pics. Of course the size will vary by brand. Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Did you replace with nickel silver rod/pins when you put it back together? Looks like you did a great job!

I’ve got an old rock hammer with a handle like that which could use some work, may I ask how you put that beautiful finish on it?

1 Like

They were rusty, so not nickel silver pins, some kind of steel. Used brass instead as it was a strange size.

1 Like

Soaked it in neatsfoot oil to stop it drying out. I then sealed it with leather sealer and waxed it. It look old but is protected for another 70 years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the education! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Great restoration.

1 Like

I love restoring old tools and such. I get very sentimental about such things in my own life. So much so that my mother used to tell me “Be sure that when you consider sentimental value, that you’re not just focusing on the sentiment, but also on the value.” Very cool knife!

2 Likes

Wow! Looks really nice!

1 Like

Beautiful restoration!

1 Like