La Forge a la forge

IMG_8445
Was watching star trek the next generation and really wanted to know what the world looked like for LeVar Burton having to wear his visor on set.

Turns out its a bit of a nightmare lol. This is my prototype so far.

The top and bottom slices are made out of :proofgrade: medium maple plywood. based the design off of pictures of the prop and a video with someone holding the stage worn prop to get the basic outlines for the face and scale of the bars.

Everything ended up being a press fit and no glue was used. My hole gauge below is how i usually find the right fit.

I wanted to be able to remove the sides for when i find a better mounting system, I was thinking either some thing shaped like sunglasses arms or maybe an elastic/ velcro.

I engraved the sides with the red circle and measured the depth of the engrave (~0.070") and then engraved slots on the top and bottom parts for it to slide into, i made the tabs on the side ~0.050" to try and avoid any bumps from the engrave.

The vertical bars were made from bamboo bbq shish kabob skewers I had laying around in the drawer. I had originally planned to buy some brass brazing rods but couldn’t find anyone in town willing to sell me just a few and didn’t want to spend 100$ on a box of em. I taped and laid them out flat on the bed of the forge and made a quick file in inkscape to cut them all at the same lengths.

The red circles are some sparkly sticker sheets from the dollar store. Not sure what they are made of but they passed the burn test and dont contain any chlorine from what I could tell.

Pretty fun and simple project for a lazy wednesday afternoon. Hope you enjoyed and i did some justice to the stage worn item. :beers: :vulcan_salute:

64 Likes

Very cool! Would make a great Halloween costume. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Dont forget weddings and going to the bank :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Yes, weddings would be good… :wink:

5 Likes

I would think that getting a decent 3d of your head using something like Mesh lab could make the fit quite good and the rest easy enough.

5 Likes

yeah the fit was hard to get right i tried making a template then scanned and imported to inkscape but still wound up making it a bit 2 narrow but it was a nice proof of concept and way to kill an hour.

3 Likes

@rbtdanforth i was thinking i could also just cut the outside with the pillars in a narrow strip and have some sort of cloth top and bottom. Use the flex of the wood to just have it fit to your face on its own.

1 Like

Mesh lab will make an accurate 3d of about anything and so the inside would fit very well to just the face of the person it was designed for and probably be very comfortable, a bit of foam tape and you cold be very comfortable behind bars.

3 Likes

That is AWESOME!

5 Likes

Geordi would be proud to wear this replacement visor!

5 Likes

Too cool!

2 Likes

Fun! Well done!

1 Like

If you do a flexible overall shape, you could use a living hinge instead of dowels. It’s a cool design either way.

1 Like

Could also go low tech and use a profile or contour gauge pressed against your face then trace the pins to turn into a cut profile.

2 Likes

I hear the brain adapts to any new vision issues in just a few days - there was an experiment where they made people wear glasses that inverted everything!
So you gotta be full time Geordi for ~3 days and those bars will disappear!

6 Likes

Thats a really good idea

1 Like

would be neat to make a contour gauge on the :glowforge:

I like the hole gauge idea.

2 Likes

Well done! Thanks for sharing all the construction details.

2 Likes

If you still have the file and with the plastic of a soda bottle it could make a good facemask :mask:

2 Likes