Lace Acrylic Slump Bowl

When I have played with PLA, I’ve successfully used hot water from one of those dispensers. Might work here. (I had some spiral-thread containers that were just a touch too tight, and running one side under 180F water and then working them a few times was perfect.)

3 Likes

Never thought of that. I’ll have give it a try next time something is just a hair out of spec.

Thanks! :grinning:

1 Like

One of those kinds of dryers would probably work as well. :smiley:

2 Likes

Didn’t think of that either - I don’t currently have one.
(Curly hair - air dries with a quick finger ruffling.)

Might need to finally invest in one. (What the heck - I never bought hairspray either, until I got a 3D printer.):smile:

9 Likes

Wait, what? I realize I could just google this, but for the sake of discussion, how does hairspray go with 3D printing?

3 Likes

Adhesion of the first layer to the bed. That is the primary source of failure.

Hairspray applied to a bed, and then the bed heated to burn away all but the residue, results in a very nice tacky layer. Works better than gluesticks (about the same level of adhesion, but far less added and varied thickness)

4 Likes

Yep! What Jacob said. It’s just the glue that holds the print down on the plate. :slight_smile:

As a glue stick guy I’ll have to try it.

I was a big fan of the hair spray method. But then I found these things: https://www.amazon.com/BuildTak-Printing-Build-Surface-Rectangle/dp/B00MN5X084

They are absolutely magical. I’ve only had one print fail to stick, but that was my fault due to the plate not being properly leveled at one edge.

Now I have a bottle of Aquanet in my bathroom that’s never going to be used again.

4 Likes

Spot on. I’ve been running them for a couple of years (doing eNable prosthethic hands). I went through the kapton tape, glue stick, hair spray (btw, get the unscented version if you use this method - works better than ones with an added scent) and finally the BuildTak.

1 Like

You can always use it to get rid of spiders (lots of back widows here)… :fire:

3 Likes

Jules, have you thought of, or had a chance to revisit this design now you’re a forger - 1/8" acrylic maybe ?
Could you do it in sections, like overlapping petals, to increase the overall size ?
Regards
John

1 Like

Not yet John, but it’s on the list for dispo soon.

(Been trying to get some final tutorials finished up - I’ll probably work on those this week, and finish up that knife block.)

2 Likes

Custom Easter Baskets.

6 Likes

Dang it! That was supposed to be a surprise! ROFL! :wink:

5 Likes

Since I mostly print on PETg on a borosilicate bed I use glue stick (otherwise it sticks so well it tears shards of glass off the bed) and for just PLA or Nylon 910 I use wolfbite on my E3D BigBox, and on my Taz6 which has a PEI bed I use gluestick for nGen since otherwise it sticks too well also.

1 Like

If you don’t want to mess with the gluestick a PEI sheet works really well for PETG. (No more cleaning off the boro.)

I have a stack of beds because I print so much that I will prep a batch of beds, and once the glue gets ratty (maybe 10-15 jobs) swap it out, wash and reprep and put a new one on. They eventually crack anyway from the repeated high heat/cool down cycles (when I use real high temp plastics like BluPrint they fail after about 10 jobs). I print a lot (multiple Kg a week) per printer for work.

I’ve thought about the aluminum PEI bed mod for my printer, but since I often swap between Nylon and PETg it easier to swap glass plates out

2 Likes

I also have a rotating round robin of PETg and Nylons sitting in my PrintDry so I keep swapping to a super dry spool each job. Super awesome layer adhesion.

1 Like

Have any of you tried strong magnets? I have meant to try it, but haven’t. I saw this really awesome video (she has quite a few showing her whole laser process that those without laser experience might really enjoy watching) where she is using them when cutting leather! https://youtu.be/wQj29tEKjsM