Large geometric creature

I’m Kong. Pass me that banana?

So this is one of the largest creatures I’ve made, comes in at 19" tip to tip on the points. It’s a higher order stellation of a dodecahedron, I forget which one, maybe 6th? The overall model consists of 780 pieces (actually 787 now that I consider the hanging platform shown below), and took about 3 hours to assemble.

I decided I wanted to hang this one, so I devised a special platform in one of the points. An eyelet screws into that central hole and then a string can thread out the top of the point. The end result worked perfectly.

Up close, the symmetry and overall design leads to a nicely complex look.

Here it is, just hanging around.

58 Likes

Oh, That is beautiful!

3 Likes

So pretty!!

2 Likes

Wow! That is just ridiculous (in a good way)! I don’t think I would ever have the patience to put together something with that many pieces, much less be able to design something. Just wow!

3 Likes

WOW! That’s wonderful!! Super nice work!

2 Likes

Excellent!

2 Likes

Awesome! Except I’m wondering how you’ll dust it. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, now I am too.

I suspect an air compressor will be involved.

4 Likes

Love it! The first couple of photos I thought it was silver.

2 Likes

Jaw dropping!

2 Likes

Yeah the lighting on baltic can look that way. Spray painting these creatures is a pretty cool effect, I’ve done gold and black before, it’s very cool.

1 Like

That reminds me of the Maravian Star! Lovely

2 Likes

Very cool. And very big!

2 Likes

Moravian stars are (oddly) both less complicated and more difficult to assemble than this. The tricky part with moravians is that they have really tight inner angles and a high degree of axial symmetry, so they want to fall apart as you’re trying to assemble them. I didn’t like the moravian result and so I don’t think I ever posted it.

Oh wait, I did! yeah here you go:

Still didn’t love it.

3 Likes

This number is making my head spin. How does one keep so many pieces in order? I bow down to your abilities.

Oh, and that large geometric creature is super rad!

4 Likes

A big, beautiful beast.

I need this in my life as a light fixture.

4 Likes

Very nice!! I remember making things like this in grade school and am excited to see people take that to the next level :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is amazing! I love it!

2 Likes

Wow, 19”! Looks great! I also thought it was silver at first.

1 Like

Beautiful creation. Looks great hanging!

1 Like