Large hanging sign for work

sadly, I don’t get the chance to make cool dimensional signs like this very often at all. Most of what I get asked for these days, signage-wise, is plain old cut vinyl decals and printed stickers. The dowel fasteners @gavinlbailey came up with are a great solution to avoiding visible fasteners while still allowing modification. very well done!

3 Likes

This is just an absolutely awesome project and write up.

2 Likes

Never thought to use foam and a hot wire. Love seeing new ways for doing things

3 Likes

You could make scroll saw looking hot wire table and all you would need is the top template.

2 Likes

For “priming” the foam you might also try a can of spray on “plasti-dip” I’ve used this in some other foam projects and after a second coat of that dried you could use normal spray paint on the foam. For the stuff I was using it didn’t dissolve the foam at all but obviously you’ll want to test it on the kind of foam you’re using as I have no idea what that modeling foam is vs the stuff I used which was cut from those foam floor mat tiles.

Awesome, professional and beautiful result! love it!

5 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. Plastidip can even be sprayed on the wood portions and painted on with acrylic paints. I make contact-safe weapons for live action gaming and use plastidip for coating them.

1 Like

I am glad this was shared in the Owner’s Forum Summary email or else I might not have seen this, and I’m glad I did! Amazing documentation, loved all the options you ran through and your determination. Thank you for sharing, I’m going to bookmark this.

I love reading about your process and outcome! This is really great information and technique!

Excellent post, thanks! from start to finish!!!

Great write-up. Nice execution. Great work.

I love this idea. I love the writeup. I love the end result. Full of love!

3 Likes

Excellent idea, very creative! I personally like the kerfed letters, maybe save that idea for a different project.

White glue or a great flexible option is “Sculpt or Coat”. Great for armor etc. where it needs to flex. Glue can crack. But would be fine for letters.

2 Likes

This is amazing, mind blown! So how has it held up in a year? It looked extremely solid, but you seemed intent on making the letters able to be replaced? Just curious :slight_smile:

Brilliant!

1 Like