Laser all the Food?

Just for the record I donā€™t consider the early development of corn as a GMO. I do know the difference between purposeful cross breeding and selective breeding and purposefully messing with a plants genetic sequence in the lab. The only point I was actually trying to make is the development of Corn or Maize is just one of the evidences that pre-Columbian cultures were more advanced than what modern textbooks and popular beliefs tend to show. That was all :slight_smile:

Btw, this comment flies in the face of what has been the common perception of pre-Colombian cultures. Itā€™s only been in the last few decades that the realization of an intercontinental roadway that linked many if not most of the major cultures in the New World. It was the work of agricultural historians (too tired to remember the real term) researching corn that helped drive some of the research :slight_smile: One of my passionate areas in which I tend to annoy people is History :smile: which means I can be pedantic and boring all at the same time!

Edit: Nutritional Anthropologist :slight_smile: finally popped into my head.

4 Likes

trust me, it wonā€™t be.

7 Likes

Heck of a story - @Kusmeroglu turned me on to his biography.

5 Likes

yesssssssssssss

totally agree; i first heard about him from that old penn and teller show.

2 Likes
5 Likes

My coworkers have a weekly SPAM ritual, and they were excited at the idea of my engraving our corporate logo into it. After all the good points made about lasering food (ash particles contaminating it, etc.) as well as the smell of burning SPAM :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Iā€™ve decided that instead of lasering it directly, Iā€™m going to create a special, food-safe stamp with our corporate logo so they can stamp the SPAM before they toast it. Iā€™ll use the same putty and process @dan used in Feeling a little gelty.

4 Likes

Suddenly, all I can think about is Real Genius

5 Likes

ā€¦and how do I post a YouTube embed on here?

1 Like

Put the URL (the actual YouTube page) on its own line and Discourse gives the view

3 Likes

one of my favorite movies.

1 Like

Me too. You might recognize my avatar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah hah! Thank you for the tip. I used the link button like a fooool :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Love that movie! :smile:

1 Like

So who is going to try this in their glowforge? :slight_smile:

1 Like
6 Likes

Thatā€™s why it will be the first thing done on itā€¦Laser all the food first, then never again

4 Likes

thatā€™s amazing

2 Likes

So I have now engraved food.

My younger daughter drew the smiley face and we scanned it. As you can tell, it had a great contrast using 1/335/225.

Did I eat it? Yes. Yes I did.
Was it delicious? No. No it wasnā€™t.

The engraved parts did not taste like toasted bread. They tasted like ash. (Yes, I said ā€œash.ā€)

18 Likes

hahahahahah yessssssss i told you all :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

iā€™m thinking food lasering is an absolute nonstarter until low power settings are unveiled

(cute smiley btw)

4 Likes

My guacamole begs to differā€¦

6 Likes