Laser-Assisted Creations (Jewelry Box, Beer Caddy, and Litter Box Bench)

Thanks! Its been fun experimenting with new (to me) materials and techniques :slight_smile: I appreciate the clarification on gold leafing. After getting sucked into a YouTube black hole, I have a new desire to try it, but it definitely looks like it has a bit of a learning curve.

2 Likes

"I have a new desire to try it, but it definitely looks like it has a bit of a learning curve."
There is a technique to manipulating it, kind of a challenge, I think smoke is lighter, but not by much. It is a rewarding learning experience.

Leaf is also fragile to abrasion, so depending on the application a protective coating might be a good idea.

I think the gold paint you used is perfect for that detail. Cheap, easy to use and will stand up to handling - not to mention the color is great.
Unless I were doing a piece on par with a Faberge egg, I would use the paint!

4 Likes

The marble-topped box is particularly beautiful and inspiring. That’s the kind of thing I would love to make. It’s so understated and elegant. Going in my mind-hopper! Thank you.

6 Likes

Wow, really nice projects😀 The gold on the marble looks fantastic. Very elegant yet afordable…(honestly wouldn’t go for gold leaf since the way you applied it, with layers of sealant…I doubt anyone could tell the difference)
I love the cat box bench…I have three cats and having several boxes integrated into the house furniture would be nice instead of all in the bathrooms…lol

9 Likes

Thank you, @Xabbess! I’m glad to have contributed to your mind-hopper! :slight_smile:

Thanks, @smcgathyfay! The lid amounted to less than $10 of materials, so I’m definitely going to keep this trick in rotation. The bench was a game changer for us! We put the litter box on the far side of the bench, and since the door is about 3/4" above the bottom, the lip keeps 95% of the litter that they track out within the bench. You can even keep the scoop in there! And yes, these cats are weirdos:

11 Likes

That box looks gorgeous, I’ll put that into my to do list. :slight_smile:
Great work

1 Like

IDK…one of my cats, Mr. Waffle, likes to spread the litter so to speak…although I see it staying inside the box in this design…love it!!

1 Like

Cool project! Love the etched marble and gold work. Looks great!

1 Like