Laser cut 100% wool

Everything you laser smells to some level. Whether it qualifies as stinky is personal. I don’t mind the smell of most anything I cut (except some leathers that smell too much like burning people). But my wife hates acrylic. Some friends don’t like the smell of wood. I like wood - slightly reminiscent of campfires :wink:

10 Likes

Great test! I have a big set of wool felt projects coming up (a story wall for the baby’s room) and I’m so looking forward to putting this information to use.

9 Likes

Did the etching make the wool stiff?

How durable are the etchings (movement, rubbing, hand washing)?

7 Likes

Outstanding! Really looks great and I can see some applique work in my future. How do the edges hold up to fraying?

1 Like

These will be easier to do with lasers.

http://makezine.com/2010/12/06/how-to_snowflake_coasters/

7 Likes

Hopefully polyester will cut as well. I picked some polyester felt on amazon.

12 Likes

Excellent link. Those will make great test/project sizes.

2 Likes

Regular felt cuts just fine…less burning actually. These are letters cut for stockings done about 8 years ago.

23 Likes

Much appreciated close-up details. Fabric cutting will be a question my wife will have.

2 Likes

I only received 3 very small samples (3"×3.5")
And she wanted the results sent back in an SAE so I didn’t check on hand washing or riggorous edge testing. However I ran my finger over the edges several times and bent it a bit and seemed to hold.

The etching made it just a bit stiff on the letters but since its not all the way through, it didn’t really to affect the pliability.

11 Likes

Out of Likes but great closeup! :+1: :relaxed:

5 Likes

I am amazed that there is no discoloration on the edges of the cuts. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Love the font!

2 Likes

@smcgathyfay Love the cuts you did. Thanks for sharing the results of he wool and polyester felt cuts.

I have a few quiet books that I was wanting to cut things out for. Seriously awesome to see that this cuts so well! :grin:

3 Likes

I’m am thrilled with them thank you so much.
I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell thou . It does smell like burnt hair.
There is some browning on the edge of some of them but not bad at all.
They are still soft and pliable.
Can’t wait to receive my cutter.
toryswoolyrainbows.com

8 Likes

I wonder if rinsing them in warm water and vinegar, and then letting them air dry in the sun might help? I have no experience with wool (or lasers) but I deal in vintage and antique beads, and sometimes my wonderful old finds smell… well, old and musty. Between vintage collectibles and just regular household cleaning, I’ve found regular old white vinegar to be a miracle worker :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Good tip! Bookmarked!

1 Like

I should add that it’s always worth doing a test on a small area. I doubt there’d be any ill effects with wool, but with glass I have seen the vinegar damage foil backings or fancy finishes (AB/aurora borealis for example). Diluting with more water is usually a sufficient remedy to that problem.

1 Like

With wood, you can spray it with a light coat of sealer but obviously not with wool…lol. Maybe baking soda might absorb some of it…or Fabreez :wink:

Some suggest spraying it lightly with vinegar and water but I would let it sit for a few days and see if it dissipates.

4 Likes

There is a little but not bad.