Laser cut a scroll saw pattern in trace

Cut this scroll saw pattern out of medium draft board using trace. This is an Alex Fox design.

37 Likes

That turned out just lovely! Going to frame it? :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Jules; Yes I’m going to frame it. Pretty soon every inch of my wall space will be covered with Makerforge cut scenes, I do a lot of scroll sawing and now with the Glowforge it cuts down the time it takes to cut these patterns. Normally this pattern would take a few hours on the scroll saw & 12 minutes on my Makerforge.

9 Likes

Scroll saw patterns make it so nice to make a special piece for someone. This is an amazing design.

3 Likes

Hi there- I just checked out and bokmarked his homepage: amazing patterns!! May I ask how you prepared the pdf files for the GF? Did you have to manually retrace the pattern to vectorise?

1 Like

With his pattern all I did was print out the pattern & then set it in the Glowforge and used the trace feature. Now it gets a bit hairy when you have to highlight the small cuts. You just need a steady hand with your mouse & then click.

3 Likes

Wow, considering the amount of detail in these pieces this workflow says a lot about the quality of the trace feature! For some reason I thought the trace feature would always do an engraving with an optional cut around. Bur from what you write I conclude that all of the PDF/bmp image is vectorized and the user then decides what is to be engraved and what is to be cut, right? I like that!!

1 Like

That is awesome! I think I’m going to try something similar this weekend. Off to visit his website…

1 Like

Your Right