Laser cut animation

I have seen some stop motion video of lasercut objects, but if you haven’t seen/heard of this, it is interesting. I can only imagine the amount of work that went into this (as compared to just computer generated animation.

But “… the project which saw nearly 4,000 laser cut 2D frames printed out …” the dedication and time that went into this was amazing

wow… and “Squeeeee”

54 Likes

That was absolutely charming.

5 Likes

Shoot! That made me cry. :smirk:

5 Likes

It is so beautiful :blush:

1 Like

That was great!

3 Likes

Unbelievable amount of work and patience…wow…just wow! What will we all do with our GFs? A quiet greatness awaits those that persevere with skill, art, and patience. - Rich

10 Likes

This is one of those things people do just for the joy of do it.

4 Likes

I’m usually really bothered when the animation isn’t cohesive, like in Archer. Or like in old cartoons where you can tell what’s going to move because it looks different than all the other stuff, and it ruins the gag. But it doesn’t really bother me at all in the stop motion ad. I do think it’s rather interesting they went through the hassle of stop animation to achieve the look of more traditional animation. Maybe it saved a lot of time with the lighting and shadows and interaction with the environment? Like when the birds put the ornament on the tree and the branch is weighed down?

8 Likes

I’ve always loved the artistry of stop-motion. Kubo and the Three Strings was incredible, artistically and as a story. Seeing this done with laster cut, painted figures is just awesome. I love the way a new technology can put a great twist on an old art-form. I’m psyched to see how the two-dimensional aspect works out. Thinking all stop-motion (or all I can think of off the top of my head) uses 3d models, usually clay, doing it with 2D laser cut figures could be an interesting blend on old cell-based animation and stop-frame animation. Awesome find @PlGHEADED!

Edit–

Ok, actually watched the little movie. I love it. It’s a strange mix, but I absolutely loved it.

14 Likes

Love love loved that! It actually made me tear up a bit.

6 Likes

That is great! I would’ve never guessed!

3 Likes

I am always puzzled by how stop motion persists (no pun intended) in the animation of stories. Why in the age of complete digital toolsets, do folks rely on the tie to the physical? Is it only an aesthetic that functions like vinyl: look how serious I am about this project. I am willing to do it the hard way? What is the quality that stop-motion brings?

I know for one that it allows access to characters without having to be a drafting master. Look at all the kid-authored lego stop motion. It does have that simplicity of tool set for it. But for a big budget marketing project?

Something to ponder.

2 Likes

Says the guy who built a wooden bandsaw from scratch instead of buying one ready-to-go.
heh.

Doing stuff by hand is sometimes just that much more rewarding, Animation included, and then you end up with something totally unique.

7 Likes

The draw is the artistic expression. In traditional stop-animation you are using real world 3d objects. Everything is “real-world” as opposed to “cartoon” or digital 3D animation. It’s the combination of fantasy and the texture of the real world that combine to give it such an allure (for some - - no form of art speaks to everyone.) I loved Kubo, which was stop-animation.

5 Likes

Wow. Mirroring in the forum really helpful. Didn’t think of that at all. The process of the art lends a layer that is very significant. For artists or makers, the doing is important in its own right regardless of the object. I guess since I am a consumer of animation I didn’t really think of the process.

10 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Yes! Kubo was amazing!

3 Likes

No. I didn’t well up. Shut up!

3 Likes