Laser Cut Board Games

I want to make a nice wooden version of this game I invented with a friend back in middle-school. (We wanted to have colored pieces you could collect during the game to simulate things you had to collect, so we used origami stars)
I spent a long time making all this elaborate stuff just out of cardboard and origami paper and tape. I still have the game-board and all this stuff, and for game player pieces we used pom-poms. :slight_smile:

I always thought it would be really amazing to have a version of this game where (some of the items were gems… we made those in shiny paper) to use actual semi-precious stones…

3 Likes

Wow! Very clever and beautiful! I hope this ends up in the catalog. :+1:

Turned out great. I wouldn’t have thought to use both Inkscape and Fusion together. I will be doing it that way now. Thank you for posting the video.

1 Like

This would also be pretty straightforward in pure inkscape or illustrator using the pathfinder aka boolean operations option.

2 Likes

I love the tutorial. @polarbrainfreeze’s voice is so calm and soothing. This tutorial will launch a thousand projects because it is so clear. It is especially helpful in that it doesn’t require drafting skills. Just an eye for design and how to put ready made images to use in synthesis. That’s really how I proceed. I need something to start with. Thanks so much,

3 Likes

I don’t know how to play chess, so I made something more my speed… Lol

26 Likes

Yoda for the win !

2 Likes

I call shenanigans! There’s no way Vader could have four pieces on the board already. :smiley:

5 Likes

I don’t know, seems about right. Even with superior numbers a no regard for the rules he always loses in the end. :blush:

6 Likes

Yes! I’ve had the idea of creating a chess board by laser-ing the dark squares like this. Would love to see how the board looks.

2 Likes

Hi @dan. Since Dawne is an owner perhaps you can ask her this question for me next time you speak to her (I’m assuming “her”, and not “him”).

How do board game creators feel, in general, about someone sharing a laser-cut version of a game they created? Are they happy or mad that we are doing that (or both)?

I’ve been asked by a few people to share my cut files for Tsuro. I don’t usually share it, since it’s a copy of a commercial product that is still being sold.

I know board games cannot be copyrighted (only the name and artwork in the game can, not the game mechanic itself). So someone could come out with their own version of Tsuro, give it a different name, create new artwork, and sell it. See: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/493249/mythbusting-game-design-and-copyright-trademarks-a

I’d love to get more insights on this from an actual game developer.

6 Likes

I’ll ask her!

2 Likes

I still feel pretty much as I answered in another topic doubled down with it might be their source of income for feeding their family etc.

2 Likes

I completely agree that artists, workers and creators deserve a lot of respect. I try to not copy or rip off anyone. I do find inspiration from other artists, but I always try and put my own twist or flair on it. If one does inspires me, I try to always mention them when talking about my work.

In this case, I’m also wondering about the positive effect that our posting a “Tsuro” board design may have. It could be that several people will buy the game because we are discussing it, and praising it. It could also be that several people who would have bought the game will not buy the game, and laser-cut their own. I don’t know if one balances out the other.

4 Likes

I’m going to buy a Catan set so I can copy direct.

3 Likes

I think i might have the same point of view as you on this.
I plan on making some laser cut versions of some of my board games i love.
Which i feel is fine as long as you own a real copy of the game and you aren’t selling them.
That way i can have a custom board that i want and the creator still gets paid for what the created.

4 Likes

Well you totally nailed me right there. I had no clue the game existed till you posted. So it’s on my to buy list :grinning: :thumbsup:

1 Like

“Are” or “aren’t” selling?

Sorry i missed that. Aren’t selling

1 Like

I agree. When I had my 3d printer I only ever downloaded one item to print directly. Otherwise I generated every design that I printed. Part of me just likes designing things, the other part of me wants it to be mine. So while I might take a product that I’ve seen and recreate it myself… I would never do a direct copy.

Printing board games is a bit trickier, since it has to be nearly identical to be played correctly, however, I am of the same mindset at @marmak3261. I own Settlers of Catan and therefore I have no problem making a copy for myself with the Glowforge. In this instance I will probably use the one from the GF catalog, as it is so awesome!

1 Like