Laser cut business cards + the trials and tribulations

I found a box of wood veneer I had from a project a few years back and decided to make some business cards with them. Although I do not have a ton of laser cutter experience it seemed like it would be a pretty easy project. I had my file ready and headed to my makerspace.

I was totally wrong. I got to the makerspace at my reserved time but they were doing a safety training course so my time got pushed back an hour (this would not happen with my glowforge :joy:)

Once I was able to start using the laser cutter I imported my filesā€¦ it ended up taking an hour to set the file up correctly in the software and unfortunately no matter the settings I could not get the laser to pick up all the thin details of the calligraphy.

Regardless, I cut a few of them before the makerspace closed for the night. The whole time I could not stop thinking the glowforge could eliminate the majority of the frustrations I had while trying to cut these. I will try these again when my glowforge gets delivered and I am really looking forward to posting a comparison of my experiences!

80 Likes

I can see where the laser you used didnā€™t do your calligraphy full justice, but those cards still look very nice! I canā€™t wait to see what you produce with your own laser.

14 Likes

Itā€™s artā€¦as opposed to chicken scratches (mine). They look fantastic. :relaxed:

12 Likes

You should see her Instagram account! Gorgeous calligraphy as well as watercolor.

12 Likes

Beautiful! And I love them each in their own little envelopes too :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing! They look good but I do see where there is room for improvement with a better laser cutter. Canā€™t wait to see how they look coming out of your Glowforge. Iā€™m expecting custom laser engraved/cut business cards to be part of the business model for my Glowforge to earn its keep.

5 Likes

Wow, great work!

4 Likes

Nice job. I feel for you with the Makerspace. When youā€™ve got one at home itā€™s so much easier to work through learning issues.

When itā€™s home & in the basement itā€™s even easier :slightly_smiling_face: Before the GF PRU I had to hunker down in the garage with a portable heater going. Now Iā€™m all comfy and close to where we keep the snacks :grinning:

10 Likes

Thank you! Me either :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you! I love these envelopes too! They are so cute

3 Likes

@johnwills great idea! laser cut business cards are awesome!

@jamesdhatch my makerspace is 45 minutes away so I donā€™t get there that often, and when I do Iā€™m restricted to 2 hours of use. It is going to be so much better when I have a laser in my office!

@cynd11 thank you, your so sweet!

@joe thank you!

7 Likes

I always enjoy when you share your work, and cannot wait to see what youā€™ll do with your Glowforge!

FWIW, I have similar challenges w/my ā€œlocalā€ makerspace. Theyā€™re wonderful - but not close or convenient, so scheduling is far more challenging than it should be. All that to say that I feel your trials and tribulations - hopefully, theyā€™ll be behind you very soon :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Mine is near the office but a half hour from the house. I can use anything 24x7 but that means sometimes I look up and itā€™s 2am and I still have to drive home. We have everything there and Iā€™ve been adding to whatā€™s available. Everything new coming into the house has to have something else leave :slightly_smiling_face: so some of my little used tools are ending up in the Makerspace. If I need a Mig welder I can still use it but now itā€™s taking up room in someone elseā€™s space and other folks can use it when I donā€™t need to (about 99.99% of the time since Iā€™m a very infrequent welder).

The laser is good to have at home and Iā€™m finding even better when itā€™s inside vs the garage :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

@Drea thank you! Itā€™s really cool being able to see everyones skill sets and how they plan to use the same tool to do such different things!

@jamesdhatch if I could be at my makerspace 24/7 I would probably never leave :joy:

7 Likes

I use wood veneer business cards too, but use an ink stamp for the info at the moment, canā€™t wait to give this a try when I get my Glowforge! They look great! :heart_eyes: :+1:

5 Likes

This is a great project idea and yes, cannot wait for GF delivery to carry out this and so many other ideas. Love the idea of business cards cut on the GF. Yes, i agree, something was lost in the total effort, but they still look pretty darn good.

1 Like

Thatā€™s so fantastic! What laser were you using at the maker space, out of curiosity?

2 Likes

Thank you! I believe it is a 60w redsail

1 Like

Thanks! I canā€™t wait to get you your Glowforge - I think youā€™ll be really happy with the results you get. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Me too, on both counts! :grin:

1 Like