Laser cut Cinemagraph

I run it through my media center, however it can run off a usb or even youtube

2 Likes

That is amazing!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a Form2 and a Form1+. SLA is awsome. Makes parts that look like they came out of a mold. And transparent resins are almost optical quality, the can be very clear once polished up.

Awesomeā€¦ i took a look at a few models and went with the peopoly phenom. Has a pretty large volume and i saw the review for print speed being quite good. Should be running in a week or two, ill be sure to post

2 Likes

Holy smokes, this is fantastic! The digital background really puts it over the top!

1 Like

So did you do up the foam board yourself somehow? Or just go to Staples or the like? And then once printed, did you just useā€¦ whatā€¦ a cardboard template to align your cut?

Yes, just standard 1/4 inch foamboard. Cuts fast, but you can pretty much use any material as backing. Photoshoped the design from an hbo promo i saw online, cut the background areas out digitally, and then traced the shapes to export as .svg

Printed the traced images out of PS on gloss photopaper, used a spray adhesevie to attach the prints to the board, then matched the .svg files to the prints using the glowforge camera to make the cuts. Sounds complicated, but its relatively simple once the process is practiced. A lot faster than engraving as well, i can probably do a dozen replicas in a day. Takes a lot longer to make the frames.

5 Likes

So you cut the svg out with the image already glued on? Does it leave smoke traces? Would love to see a video of the process.

That is absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing how it all goes together - way above my skill level!

1 Like

Yep, because its foam board the speed of the cut limits the burn. With wood i used to cut them separately and then meticulously line up and join them. Ill see if i can put a video together the next time i work one

1 Like

What type (brand) of form board did you use and what your cut settings on the Glowforge?

Standard 1/4 foam board on amazon, the cut settings will vary depending on the brand though. I think if you are cutting through photo paper you will have to test each brand first. Full power is best to cut through a reflective surface, then fastest speed that still cuts through backing. For instance 3/16 foamboard with 42 lbs paper, 0.195 focus, full power, 270 speed.

1 Like

Iā€™m crazy impressed.