Laser Cut Fabric — Magazine article

I finally taped the segment on Quilting Arts Television that dealt with using the Glowforge to cut fabric and make fiber art.

If you’re interested here’s the link. You can either purchase it (you get the entire season) (I get no part of this transaction):

EPISODE 2902: Slicing and Dicing Technology plays a role in this episode as Valerie Goodwin works with a laser cutter to precisely cut fabric for her intricate map quilts.

OR find out where you can see it on public television:

Valerie

PS:
I’ve attached a few images of my work.

23 Likes

The Winter 2023 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine—featuring me!—will be on newsstands soon.[quote=“valeriegoodwin, post:1, topic:120279, full:true”]
I finally taped the segment on Quilting Arts Television that dealt with using the Glowforge to cut fabric and make fiber art.

If you’re interested here’s the link. You can either purchase it (you get the entire season) (I get no part of this transaction):

EPISODE 2902: Slicing and Dicing Technology plays a role in this episode as Valerie Goodwin works with a laser cutter to precisely cut fabric for her intricate map quilts.

OR find out where you can see it on public television:

Valerie

PS:
I’ve attached a few images of my work.
[/quote]

9 Likes

The Winter 2023 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine—featuring me!—will be on newsstands soon.

My article discusses how I use the fusible laser cut fabric in my artwork.

Hope some of you will check it out:)

Valerie

16 Likes

Well deserved recognition. Congratulations!

7 Likes

Fantastic!!!

7 Likes

Congrats on the publication - that’s great!

6 Likes

I think im going to get this issue, even though I don’t quilt anymore. Creative thought can be extended to lots of other media (knitting, weaving, et al). Thanks for the post and link!

5 Likes

That is awesome! Congrats!!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I have just started quilting.

6 Likes

Good for you!! Well done!

4 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Beautiful work. What settings do you usually use for say, cotton?

Thank you!
I use about an 11 for power, 210 for speed. I put little magnets on the corner to keep it from moving.

1 Like

Great!!! Thank you so much. I have plenty of material that I can test on this weekend.

I forgot to ask you if you layer your fabric. I am getting ready to make quilts for my grandkids with a pattern from my grandmother. I realized I didn’t ask about the layers.

Hi there!
Sorry it’s taking me so long to respond. I have not tried to cut more than one layer of fabric. My fear is that the top layer may cut, but the layers underneath may not cut as well. My guess is that it would take a high setting to get it to cut through all the layers. This might mean burnt or brown edges and that’s probably not what you want.

Any other questions please do let me know!

Valerie.