Laser Cut Printer Paper - Using Engrave

another question, how did you changed your greyscale? it only let me convert to dots or convert to patterns,

I use cheap magnets to hold the paper down in areas that will not be cut. Reusable and works great.

1 Like

to use 3D engrave, you’ll either need to be using a Proofgrade material that supports it, or be in manual mode. Then, you’ll need to make sure you are using a raster rather than a vector.

@margaretrgriffith … you asked a question about how to keep the small bits from moving.

Most people use a Seklema mat for cutting lightweight items like paper and fabric that can get blown around by the air assist. (And you do want to anchor them down - they can catch fire if they blow into the path of the beam.)

thank you Jules. I am very new at this- how do you keep the laser from cutting through the mat?
And, what settings do you recommend? I am using a 90 pound drawing paper. The drawings are SVG files.

I have ready different options for paper cutting- engraving and also cutting. I am not sure which is best and the setting for those. I just don’t want to damage the machine! I am happy to waste paper experimenting!

It will actually cut into the mat slightly, but it’s designed to handle that.

For lightweight papers, most people get the best results by engraving instead of trying to cut it. (That leaves less char and residue on the paper.)

And the original poster has the settings displayed in the first post in the thread. Start with those and see how it works out.

2 Likes

Thank you. So you just put the paper on top of the mat without any adhesive on the backside? And is this the correct mat?

And regarding the original post, are you referring to manual engrave for the bird? Speed 650, power 30, max gray level (which didn’t come up for me for some reason) 100%?

Thank you!

Yep. The Seklema mat has two sides covered with a slightly tacky rubbery surface. When you put paper on it, it holds everything, even after it’s been cut. (You have to scrape the bits off afterwards.)

And yes, 650 speed. 30% power. 225 LPI. Don’t worry about the Greyscale, that will default to the correct form. (And this was done a long time ago, the setup has changed a lot since then.)

In order to use that as an engrave, you might want to increase the size of the stroke slightly, then expand it. (Might not be necessary now, you might be able to engrave it directly from the GFUI, but do widen the strokes a little bit first.)

2 Likes

Ok super- I will take your advise! I am going to order the mat and try again when I have it.
Thanks for your help. This is such a learning curve from hand cutting.

Yeah, but once you get a workflow down, it is tremendously faster. :wink:

Can’t wait for that- what does GFUI stand for? Glowforge…

Glowforge User Interface. (The second screen behind the dashboard where the file opens up for work.)

Thanks!

And is this also the same sticky mat? Found it slightly less expensive…
http://www.bfplasticsinc.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=4599E06D19AF4CD1828EDB7E27ACDF12

Probably. (As far as I know there’s only one Seklema.)

No, you use the thickness of the mat. (Paper’s small enough to ignore.)

OK so the same for plywood with adhesive? If the plywood is 1/8 you set it to 1/8?

Yep. (I’ve used both the plywood and the Seklema though. If you are planning to do a lot of paper work, the Seklema is worth it. Plywood doesn’t release as easily.)

I just bought the Seklema- while I wait for it I thought I’d try the plywood option!

that’ll work! :grin: