Laser cutting a notebook cover

Hey all! i saw this on pinterest and have wanted to make one ever since! I think it would be pretty straight forward but am not sure where to get the type of notebook with the two spiral that would work best. Has anyone done this? Thanks!!download-7

4 Likes

I believe if you search notebook here on the forum you will find lots of examples and resources.

4 Likes

You can also get a binding system like Zutter (there are several others) and make your own pages as well…

4 Likes

Here is a post of the one I made. Walks you though the book binder I used too.

3 Likes

I haven’t done it in a LONG time (over 20 years ago) but those spiral binds can be easily unwound, you just carefully bend the end pieces back. You need to clamp the pages together so you will be able to get it back together.

The blank notebooks are available at any art supply, WalMart/Target, even the grocery store.

worst case, you could always take it to any print shop that does wire binding. bring them the cover and the inside pages and pay them to punch the paper and bind it.

2 Likes

I hope you find the notebook and spirals that work for you, but you might consider eschewing that approach: Doodle becomes Notebook, into which more doodles can be born

Good luck, and share your results!

I’ve made a lot of notebooks like that. What you want is twinloop binding. You’ll need a careful hand with pliers to close the loops, or a machine that crimps them, like a Zutter, which will also punch the holes in the paper to match. Do a Google search for Wire-O bindings, you can buy them in bulk if you need to.
Also bear in mind that they are usually aiming towards people who do this with cardstock and paper, rather than thin plywood. You lose at least 15-20 pages when using a thicker cover, so if a given loop size says it will hold 75, count on 60.

2 Likes

Here are some of my notebook threads.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.