Back in September of last year (just before I got pulled away from this fun stuff for months) I posted about a doodle-picture I saw on Twitter and liked so much I recreated it (with the generous permission of the artist) in cruddy baltic birch.
Historical evidence: Complex doodle fun
Since then she has posted more wild-cool designs (so creative, I wish I was an artist) and I thought one might make a neat notebook cover. So I pinged her again and she indulgently again said I could go for it (she really liked the last one) and I went nuts.
As in, I not only adapted her design for the cover, including some cutouts I could highlight with a colored sheet (not at all original; I’ve always admired books like that others have done), I also insisted that the paper fit the (non-notebook ‘standard’) dimensions of her original so I decided to cut all the pages to size from pretty big sheets.
And then I decided the spiral bindings that are Very easily available just wouldn’t do so I bought stretchy string that I never used before to bind it with.
And then I decided I’d do a made-up hole pattern so no standard hole punch for the paper would work so I had to find a puncher device to do one hole at a time (for a stack of paper, I’m not That nuts).
And then I decided the stretchy string would also work well to tie the book closed so I designed a double-piece closure thingy based on (‘lifted from’) the original art.
And then I cut it on ProofGrade Basswood Ply and weeded FOREVER and then strung it all together and here it is:
As is always the case when I post, it’s late and I gotta work tomorrow so I can’t dump all the wisdom I acquired here right now, maybe I’ll update later.
It was a fun project and I think I want to keep messing with Notebooks going forward. I gotta make that hole-puncher thing worth it…