Laser engrave everything

You can take off the insulated part make it flat and then engrave that :upside_down_face:
Otherwise, that is not what a Glowforge is for, I had many such Ideas before my Glowforge arrived and had to figure out which ones would not work in this universe.

in person they work great but for images and especially video sharpie and liquid paper should do a better job.

Some slight curves work reasonably well but nothing thicker than about 2" can be engraved in the GF. Won’t fit inside.

1 Like

Duh. I knew that. Just didn’t process it in my brain. Thanks

Technically, the only thing wrong with putting food in a Glowforge that’s been used for non-food items is eating it afterward, right?

1 Like

Theoretically. There are those of us who eat dirt in the woods when we’re camping so we’re not so worried about a bit of lasered char remnants :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The video is FINALLY live! This took a bit longer than I thought. Thanks for your patience. We ended up engraving over 50 different materials. Check it out!

And thanks again to @eflyguy for the LASER ALL THE THINGS meme!

12 Likes

Very nicely done! Great list of resources as well.

(love the work space!)

I think this deserves a dedicated post in Tips and Tricks, possibly with the links from the description included in the post?

1 Like

Fantastic. Must see TV!

Thanks so much! It’s great to have had the chance to experiment with and learn about each material. I’d be happy to include this in the Tips and Tricks section. Although, I don’t have posting privileges (maybe soon?). Is this something that you might be willing to help with? Thanks again! Also, thanks again for the awesome graphic.

1 Like

Yes, if you create a post, any of the “Regulars” (just the most active members) can move it over there for you.

Thanks so much! I’ll write that post now under the “Beyond the Manual” category.

1 Like

Now we just need a solid groove like:

[CW: alcohol references, possibly some salty language]

First we drink all the booze. Then, we zap all the things …

Could you just use Cermark for Tile and Glass for the marble to color the engraving?

That’s a great question! I’ll try that over this weekend.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.

It will be interesting.

Cermark works by fusing into a solid coating on a non-permeable surface. The laser doesn’t have anywhere near enough power to touch a metal surface, so the coating is essentially baked in place.

Stone is vaporized, so anything on the surface should be blasted away.

So, as stated, should be interesting.

I think more likely spalling lots of dust sized bits, A close look suggests that, With marble if the heat is high enough instead of vaporizing it breaks down into calcium oxide that quickly sucks up any water vapor.

What settings id best for cork fabric