Laser Engraved Cube

Holy smokes

2 Likes

Gonna have to make one hell of a jig to get a cube of wood aligned correctly in the gf after taking the bed out. Still trying to think of the best way to do it. Can’t just cut a cardboard jig because the bed will be gone.

Probably have to make a set of vertical guides in which to nest the cardboard jig and have it magnet mounted to the bottom. Slide the cardboard up to cut height, cut, then lower it far enough to hold the cube in place and engrave it. Making the jig would be more work than the engrave itself lol

6 Likes

correct, also, it has the laser-cut look to it, while cnc results have a different appearance.

Am I reading correctly? Challenge: Accepted?

2 Likes

Possibly! It’s more of a reason to design a reusable jig holder. A jig jig if you will lol.

I’ve got a simple idea, but it won’t necessarily hold square well. Trying to decide how much work it’s worth =P

8 Likes

Potential future uses could be limitless! :wink:

2 Likes

They look great!
As for trimming the corners, I can appreciate tackling the challenge of using the laser but I’d probably make a jig for a sander or router table. Which could also undoubtedly be done on the Glowforge.

2 Likes

I’m definitely making a Lemarchand puzzle box once I get my GF… Any ideas on how to make a nice brass layer on top, with black in the etch?

2 Likes

First thought was to buy a spare honeycomb and cut a square-shaped hole in it.
Then you mentioned reusability. You don’t want a stack of spare honeycombs.

• making something to replace the honeycomb, with two pairs of sliding bars, one pair for x and one for y. (+very adjustable | -could be knocked out of alignment)

• was making to replace the honeycomb, with one pair of sliding bars and then set-length crossbars with notches. (+ notched crossbars would lock the adjustable bars in place | -only works for pre-set sizes)

1 Like

Speaking as someone with no laser experience. I would try making it out of wood and painting the exterior surface with something resembling brass and then putting a paper mask over the paint once it had dried. Throw it in the Glowforge to do the etch and then hit the etched area with a matte black paint. Remove the mask and voila all done.

Edit: I initially recommended Liquid Leaf Brass but I just looked it up and it contains copper so that was a terrible paint idea for lasering. I’ve used on the past for regular projects but you should never put that stuff in a laser.

Someone send me a Glowforge and I’ll give it a try!

2 Likes

Make your own brass etchings, like this:

It’s not really very difficult. I’ve been playing with copper etching lately (uses the same etching chemistry) and getting pretty good results.

11 Likes

Accepted?! Ha on a local radio station one morning when discussing WiFi security, one caller related a story where he set his password for his WiFi to some “uncrackable” letter/number/random crappie and named his network “hackitifyoucan”. The very next morning when he got up his network name had been changed to “challengeaccepted”! Ha

13 Likes

That looks promising… Thanks for the lead!

1 Like

You’re welcome! You may find it more convenient to use photosensitive dry film instead of the spray-on material the video shows. If you decide to try it, let me know and I’ll give you some pointers.

1 Like

LaughIng so hard I almost wet myself :smile:

5 Likes

Whoa.

Heh. Hate to tell you that’s a myth. Been around for years. It was just a joke somebody told to emphasize the fact that everything’s crackable. Today you’ll find that joke relayed on t-shirts and other trinkets and referred to in books about cracking (and books about jokes).

3 Likes

The earliest reference to this topic (I could find) was an internet meme from 2012

2 Likes

Sounds right. I thought it was a little earlier, 2010 maybe. But I’d believe 2012. :slight_smile:

2 Likes