Laser Engraved Cube

Very, very nice…who is going to be the first one to try this out?

61 Likes

I’d do it today, if I had my GF.

13 Likes

I’ll put down a fiver on @takitus
(What are the odds we’re getting?)

22 Likes

Very nice. It would be especially fun if you told somebody it was a puzzle box when it was just an engraved cube. :smiling_imp: - Rich

23 Likes

I like how you think :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I thought about that - my big laser has 9" of Z-axis adjustability. Figured I could take a kids block and do it. First I’d have to make the symmetrical design though. And be home (I’m in SC on a business trip while my wife awaits 2 feet of snow).

6 Likes

I forgot to mention that you tell them there is a $20 bill inside for them. :imp::imp: - Rich

9 Likes

This is lovely!
I had been trying to do the inverse of that where I engraved the inside of a box so that it looked seamless when put together. But engraving was difficult at that point.

4 Likes

Another amazing idea! :relaxed:

1 Like

I do have a cube of wood in my house that no one knows where it came from thats been begging to be lasered… =P

20 Likes

Oh, that cube…

11 Likes

Ok. As I hang my head in shame, I’ll post my feeble effort at lasering a cube. I’m getting a set of alphabet blocks ready. Of course, mine is practical. You can play with them.

2 Likes

The corners…!

4 Likes

Yeah – the corners are amazing!

3 Likes

I’m so going to make me one of those!

1 Like

Oh, now I want to make a laser engraved cube puzzle box!

3 Likes

HOW?!?! Do we have proof this was laser-engraved? How would those edges be possible?! Let alone those corners?!

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think that lasering accounts for the weirdness of some of the edges. Because when you’re zapping a face you have to zap a square whose dimensions are that of your cube minus the depth of the engrave. Otherwise you would burn through some of the detail on the faces that were vertical while you were zapping. (Or maybe not.)

5 Likes

Oooh…Good point.

If one is bold, they could make an internally lit, wood with acrylic inlay Hellraiser cube. Lol

5 Likes