Laser engraved match strike

I’m making a custom matchbox for my wife’s shabbat candles and have ordered some match strike paper to attach to it.
However, I thought it worth asking whether anyone has had any success in laser engraving a texture onto wood that could be used to strike a match? Is that even possible?
Alternatively, is there a harder-wearing type of match strike I could use to prevent having to replace the paper every once in a while?

If they are safety matches, it’s not a texture thing, it’s a chemical thing.

I would probably just engrave a channel and stick the paper in it with rubber cement. You can always replace the paper, rubber cement can be torn out and redone pretty easily.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks! That’s what I’ll do then!
Actually, my idea is to have a leather cover, with a pocket into which the strike paper can be placed, facing outward, enabling easy swapping. Will have to prototype it, though, to see whether the strike paper moves around too much.

2 Likes

if you were to switch to strike-anywhere matches, you could use sandpaper. Maybe #80 or #100 grit.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.