Laser Etched Frame

So not TOO much to see here, other than the forrest etched at the bottom of the frame. This is the first in a series of frames I’m making for the Ranger Doug’s series of National Park posters.

Turned out well - I used old cedar fence boards ripped down to 3/8". I LOVE how the aging of the wood carried into the cracks / crevices and knots. The pic is a bit over lighted, the frame is darker than the photo - turned out pretty well!

56 Likes

Looks great. I love the simple yet beautiful look of the frame. I’m going to be replacing our old cedar fence soon, I should have plenty of boards to play with lol

5 Likes

Very nice with the wood grain.

4 Likes

Subtle is nice.

4 Likes

Love how the grain of the wood shows. It really sticks out…

4 Likes

Excellent use of the top knot.

5 Likes

Perfect frame for the poster. The wood is beautiful!

4 Likes

That wood grain is amazing! Great engraving too :wink:

4 Likes

I too like the simple look. I spent years doing mortise / tenon joinery and while it’s incredibly durable and makes for incredible furniture (2 benches I built in the 90’s have been through 7 kids and still would hold 2000 pounds each) it adds complexity to builds.

When the fence was being replaced, I knew I couldn’t let the boards go into the roll off dumpster - there’s treasure in them thar boards. Rip em down, plane them to a good thickness and then build the frame from “sticks” glued together. Glue up takes a bit of patience / practice, but it’s wicked stable because of all of the surface material and the dry cedar soaks in the glue, so the wood would probably break anywhere except where it’s glued.

I have 5-8 more coming - we’ve been to a lot of national parks and we’re choosing our fav’s to hang on the walls.

6 Likes

That’s like me, I’m a scrap hoarder when it comes to little off-cuts and pieces of wood, especially a bunch of fence boards. Cut em up and laminate them together to make a new stronger board :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When we moved from Hawaii to Rockford, Ill the packed station wagon was taken as freight and my parents tried to take in as many National Parks as possible over the summer as we made our way in time for me to start 1st grade. It did get to be an issue when the teacher had each student get up in front of the class and tell “What I did over this summer” and I took three days. Later the teacher called my parents to compliment me on my “wild creativity and imagination” as she did not believe a word of it, and was further put out when my mother confirmed it was true.

4 Likes

All of my projects feature knots or imperfections of some sort. That’s what makes em cool!

2 Likes

Love it! I recently did a trip with 6 of my 7 kids. We stayed at an AirBNB in Kanab UT (look it up) and hit Bryce on the way there, Zion the next day, Lake Powell the 3rd day, Grand Canyon North Rim the 4th day and Coral Sand Dunes / Grand Staircase on 5th day then headed home.

4 National parks in 5 days with Lake Powell thrown in. THAT was an awesome trip!

2 Likes

In that same area is Upheval Dome that they have figured out was a Meteor strike that appears to be the same age as the Dinosaurs in Dinosaur Nat Park. I made a virtual model of it here