I have read a few other threads on here but haven’t been able to find one that seems to address my issue (depending upon who you ask, I have a lot of them ).
I have a .22 Cherry veneer MDF core material that I have used quite a bit successfully and have used the same settings each time to make boxes.
For some reason, my Glowforge Plus just can’t seem to muster the energy to cut through. I ran the first panel yesterday perfectly, but have tried to run the remaining panels with no success. I separated one part from the drawing (the circles in the photos) and it worked fine, went back to the drawing and no luck.
My usual settings have been 127 speed, full power. I lowered it to 117/FP and it still wouldn’t cut. Finally, I dropped it to 110/FP and got a lot of surface smoke, but only marginal perforations on the back. My GF+ is almost 6 months old and recently cleaned the lenses.
I was curious if the colder temps could affect this. 70 degrees inside venting to 32 degree exterior.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Is the material totally flat, i get cuts like that when the material is not flat and it doesn’t take much to raise it enough to not cut through.
I was wondering that too and checked the material but it was very flat. I even tried a couple hold downs on it with no difference,
Is it the same piece of wood from the one that cut previously? I’m just asking because I order all my mdf-core wood from Trotec. When I started ordering, they cut beautifully with PG medium settings (I buy the 1/8inch stuff). But since they imported their newest shipment from Europe over the summer, the new wood, same thickness, can’t cut through it even when I use PG thick settings. Something in the core changed because I still have scraps of the pre-summer stuff, and they still cut great.
“Recently” cleaned optics. Clean them again to be sure. You might have residue or even debris on the windows. Gotta be sure.
I was wondering about that. They came from the same supplier but I think the one piece might have been from a different order. Hmmm…
i just this problem. 2 different batches, they look the same but one order will. not. cut. on the same settings. i knew it was the wood when I have some of the same sku and they were cutting fine
Lol…I ordered 20 pieces of walnut when they got their new shipment in over the summer (I was afraid they would sell out again) and cutting through without massive amounts of char is next to impossible. The finish looks so nice, but I am REALLY curious what is in the MDF core. I can’t remember if the cherry I ordered has the same issue, since that was before their summer shipment from Europe.
The latest walnut and cherry cut perfectly…the previous walnut and maple, so much char. Definitely a batch issue.
The trotec lady said it was only Glowforge users and so many this year with this problem, when I tried to say batch issue, she politely shut me down. I still think I’m right though
I’m positive you’re right. I haven’t ordered any new wood since, I’m still trying to burn through what I have.
You can also keep your settings and just run 2 pass on the thru cut. It could be the humidity affecting the boards.
That cut looks really thick. Make sure your lens isn’t upside down.
I was having major cutting issues until I now clean all three lenses that are not inside the laser head after EVERY cut and now everything cuts awesome. It only takes literally one minute and I use the Zeiss wipes.
I cleaned mine. Didn’t help. Sent in photos of the lens,etc with spots on it that couldn’t be cleaned. Was still under warranty, got new parts. No explanation though; no suggestions on how to keep it from happening again. Terrified to use it!
That can happen from not cleaning it when it needs to be cleaned. A little bit of residue on a window/mirror disperses/diverts the beam. Best case, your material doesn’t cut through. Worst case, the residue gets burned and damages the windows/mirrors/lens.
Well… here is what i learned. Thanks @geek2nurse, I went back and double checked my lenses and realized that, at my last cleaning, I forgot my mirror. Once I cleaned that, it was about 80% resolved. I would get some perforation through the back, but not really a clean cut.
I tried two more cuts, one with the auto focus, the second with a gauge… no luck. FINALLY, I tried a second gauge which showed the material as .223 (not the .205 that I had with my other gauge… and next thing you know… I’m cutting like a pro