Laser moves as if cutting but DOES NOT CUT

I have not used my laser since early October. Started her up today to have it be stuck in centering mode, sent a chat message only to get a sorry we are busy email…oh great…so finally read enough to resolve that but then this…

I have everything set to go as I always have and the laser would move as if it was cutting but there is no laser beam and it is not cutting.

I cleaned everything, checked everything and all is good, restarted software, laser etc. So, then I tried cutting the For Good Measure file with a piece of draft board. Laser did not recognize label on proof grade material, so I put it in manually, same thing, moves as if cutting but no laser is seen…HELP! I am a month past my warranty :frowning:

If you enter manual settings it’ll default the power to 1 automatically…any chance that’s what happened?

Not sure as I elected medium draft board becasue it did not read the label, but I will try again…

Selecting is fine - that’ll do proofgrade settings, but if you clicked on the manual settings at all it’ll default. It doesn’t sound like that’s what you did, but it’s common issue so it’s always worth checking!

Tried it again and still the same, is the laser tube supposed to light up at all? Its not :frowning: Not sure what to do if it needs a new laser tube just after the warranty expires I am going to be extremely upset…

You’ll get a flashing pinkish light in the tube if the light in the rest of your room is low enough - but there’s no way your tube has worn down unless you’ve literally been actively printing 24 hours a day since the day you got it (tubes have failed (cracked/broken connections/etc), but none of them have worn out yet)
That being said, it’s not power since the head moves, so I think you’re going to need to wait for a staffer to look at the logs and see what’s up.
Add the time you tried the GoGM into your post so they can focus in on exactly the possible problem area in your logs on a design there aren’t any variables for!
You might also post a screen shot of the entire GFUI with the GoGM - from the name of your laser on the right all the way to the selected draftboard on the left.

Oh - and try this as well - ignore the title of the post, if your cable is loose it can cause the not-cutting:

"Add the time you tried the GoGM into your post so they can focus in on exactly the possible problem area in your logs on a design there aren’t any variables for!
You might also post a screen shot of the entire GFUI with the GoGM - from the name of your laser on the right all the way to the selected draftboard on the left.”

sorry a bit lost? what is the “GoGM” if you are talking about trying to print the for good measure file I did post that here…and it will be in my log 3 times.

I’ll check that thanks :slight_smile: I will let you know

Gift of Good Measure = GoGM

Add the time you ran that Eg. 1:22pm Pacific (or whatever it was) since there are :glowforge:s literally all around the globe it’s helpful!

ah, thanks

1 Like

Pins look okay so not sure what that is supposed to do but I can post the pick, Going to try this one more time then post results :frowning: I have orders to get out this sucks…

5:17 pm, attempted to print the GF For Good Measure file for the fourth time today with the same results…head moves looks like it is printing but NO laser beam :frowning:

When you print the Gift of Good Measure and look at the left column where the thumbnails are, do you see the words “Cut” “Score” “Engrave” or do you see little numbers underneath each operation?

And if you see little numbers, what are they?

I do not see numbers is auto populated the settings, but this did not just happen on this it happened on something else I tried while I added the settings…

Okay…can you take a screen shot of the thumbnail column for the last print that didn’t work and post it here?

It should look like this. Make sure you capture the thumbnail column at the left.

Yep! All you can do is wait to hear from support. They can see more by looking at the logs for your machine.

Sorry. :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to try and help…This is just making me crazy as i have always been able to figure everything else out :frowning:

Well, good luck anyway. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

1 Like

I’m sorry that your Glowforge isn’t printing successfully. I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.