Laser Pancakes

I work in a room full of software engineers - far stranger than anything you can imagine. I seriously want to become a Software Engineer Anthropologist to study the bizarre culture (idioms, costumes, music/literature) - even a food culture which revolves around SPAM Thursdays. Yes, there is a ritual of eating cooked slices of SPAM every Thursday. It is almost a sacrament here. (I get migraines, so I don’t partake.)

When I first showed my coworkers the Glowforge promo video, they made me promise to use it to engrave our corporate logo onto SPAM slices for SPAM Thursday! When that day arrives, I will post pix to the forum here.

17 Likes

Please! :smile:

6 Likes

I know it has been said repeatedly before, but the Glowforge Staff strongly suggest you should NEVER use a glowforge on edibles after it has been used with non-edibles. Getting wood or plastic particles in your food can be hazardous, and non-tasty!

3 Likes

good to know - I will keep that in mind :yum:

2 Likes

Oh no, the days of toast, cheese etc with mysterious shapes and faces selling for millions on ebay are numbered. Or did you just find a new revenue stream?

6 Likes

Well wood isn’t a problem (real wood, like maple, not plywood, and yes there are some toxic woods, but if you are using those you probably know that) as opposed to plastic. Wood particles get in your food in BBQ frequently, also likely from wood cutting boards, etc. Heck you can grill your salmon on cedar planks for goodness sake. And as we all learned this summer Parmesan cheese has wood fiber derived cellulose in it for clumping prevention.

10 Likes

Maybe you can make a Spam Stamp out of Delrin, and smash those suckers.

7 Likes

great idea!

2 Likes

I spent decades as a boy scout and ultralight backpacker. I’ve eaten wood. I’ve eaten plastic. Heck I’ve eaten dirt.

If you think contamination from a reasonably clean laser is bad for you then you probably ought not to read this: Food Defect Levels Handbook | FDA

I like how they call rodent feces contamination of your food a “defect” and even have allowable levels. :slightly_smiling_face: And hairs. And bacteria. And decomposition metabolites…And filth :grinning:

12 Likes

After seeing how clean @karaelena got his crumb tray . . .:smirk:

6 Likes

What if I make a “pan” cake and then cut out the circles?? hmmmm Perfectly round pancakes ( or funky shaped ones?) . I’m surprised they made the utensils but didn’t embellish them ( at least a GF symbol on the handle?) :relaxed: Hope everyone had a very Happy Valentines Day !!! :heartpulse:

6 Likes

They are eating spam. Regularly. Voluntarily. Potential laser cutter residue is the least of their problems.

23 Likes

I’m picturing WAY too many flare-ups…or maybe that’s just me.( keep a fire extinguisher on hand please )

2 Likes

Man… Haven’t had Spam in 8 years!

< shoppinglist >
Cinnamon Chex
Milk
Spam
< /shoppinglist >

11 Likes

I haven’t had it since I was a teenager on a canoe trip and had no say in the provisioning.

5 Likes

LOL! :laughing: There’s actually more to the story. In order to cut down on the terrible smell of cooking spam in office kitchen, our SPAM man often takes the toaster oven into the men’s room and cooks it there. Really. As an added benefit.:smirk:

10 Likes

You’ll need to be more specific. It comes in many flavors, including Jalepeno.

2 Likes

Wow. I know I’m poor. And I grew up poor. So growing up we definitely had Spam with some frequency. But I love the smell and taste! I could so go for a Spam sandwich right about now.

Different strokes, I guess! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I supposed the smell of cooked SPAM is an improvement for the men’s room. LOL

4 Likes

When I was a kid, one of my family’s favorite meals was spam n taters but we only got it on our yearly camping trip. This talk has me craving it again.

7 Likes