Laser Pancakes

'Bout the same. :relaxed:

3 Likes

That’s a US (and mainland US to boot) phenomenon. Much of the rest of the world actually thinks Spam is a quality meat product. I’m told it’s also pretty big with the native population of Hawaii. Like anything else it’s an acquired taste - we often confuse what we grew up eating and therefore find “normal” with something that inherently makes it “good food” vs strange food. If you didn’t grow up eating it, you probably have issues with it. :slight_smile: I have issues with things like broccoli, asparagus, insects, most cheeses, sausage & salamis, etc. My mother ate liverwurst! My kids eat much of what I won’t but I’ve got a daughter who hates tomatoes. It’s all cultural :smile:

7 Likes

You can make a pancake ring on the laser then place it onto the griddle and pour the batter directly into it. You could also cook custom shaped eggs this way.

8 Likes

The best spam recipe (from the perspective of a 10-year-old me):

Pour a 1/4" layer of reconstituted lemon juice in a large skillet. Heat until boiling.
Add spam, or hot dog discs, or bologna strips.
Cook until lemon juice turns into a thick, dark, sludge, coating all the meat.
Eat.
Lie down and wait for the stomach ache (it was worth it).

It was like eating meaty SweetTarts!

11 Likes

I’m right there with you. I grew up loving the smell of fried spam, or bologna. Ironically, my father grew up on a ranch in SW Oklahoma, so to him, bologna and spam were a rare treat and steak and roast were just everyday foods. :smile: Me, I preferred the steak and roast, but I didn’t bail on bologna or spam either :smile: especially since steak and roast were rare in our house for quite a few of those years.

4 Likes

I liked ring bologna (as well as Oscar Meyer bologna in a sandwich) growing up. As I recall neither or my parents did. Which now makes me wonder why we had it? There were other just as cheap meals we could have had.

3 Likes

I say all the time… People eat these high-priced fancy foods. But give me the stuff I grew up on any day. PB&J? Yes, please. I’ll have 2.

3 Likes

I can’t stand peanut butter outside of a chocolate cup. Peanuts - love 'em. Peanut butter cups - love 'em. PB&J I’ll let sit there. It flustered more than one babysitter.

We had dinners of chicken liver and gizzards. Chicken wings when they were rare, super cheap castoffs (aka before some bar in Buffalo poured hot sauce over them.) Beef liver, but I finally threw a big enough gag fit it was never served again. I was punished extensively for that episode, but it was worth it. We were never poor, but my parents believed in eating a wide variety of foods compared to what I learned much later is the norm.

4 Likes

Peanut butter in a chocolate cup? yes.
Peanut butter and Jelly? Yes.
Peanut butter straight from the jar? Yes.
Peanut butter and Cookie butter sandwiches? Yes please, with milk.
Peanuts? Yes.

Peanut sauce? Horrifying.
Peanut-butter stout beer? Shudder.
Peanut butter ice-cream? What kind of a monster would do such a thing to ice cream?

taste is a funny thing.

12 Likes

How interesting. The absolute best peanut butter I’ve ever had in my life is when we made it from scratch. Fresh and warm. The texture’s like no other peanut butter I’ve ever had. Maybe give it a try and it could change your mind. Or, not. To each their own. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did that when I made my own chocolate cups. Same result. Same for Mac-n-Cheese. I’ve had a four, insanely-expensive-cheese version from a chef whose cooking I love - no joy. I’ve never not liked any other pasta, red sauce, white cream sauce, other cheese-based sauce, olive oil sauce, red curry, green curry, pad thai, other pads, and a variety of other Asian styles. Maybe it’s childhood psychological trauma.

3 Likes

I see your Monty Python, and raise you a Weird Al…

I also grew up with Spam (cooked!) as a normal meal, and quite enjoyed it. Now it is far too salty for me to eat much.

But mostly I do not care for it because at an assembly in High School there was an eating competition. You and an opponent were presented with a tinfoil wrapped item and informed if it is a drink or a food, then you “bid” how many bites/drinks it will take you to finish said item.

Whoever bids lowest before the opponent backs down has to then unwrap the item and make an attempt to finish it in their bid.

A can of raw spam was one of the items… Kinda puts you off from eating the stuff when you do a full can uncooked in 2 bites.

11 Likes

Hahaha! Reminds me of Cool Hand Luke and the eggs…

4 Likes

Fried Bologna is so much better…:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Peanut butter on celery and granny smith apples is the bomb!!

9 Likes

Hah! I’m raising you another Monty Python!

8 Likes

Could be! That’s why I haven’t eaten fish (aside from tuna sandwiches) in the past 30+ years. Same goes for mushrooms. I can point to specific moments in my life for each where that was simply, the end.

Last year I told my wife we should introduce fish into our diet. Mostly for variety. Only so much chicken one can eat. So we went to a buffet and sampled several different fishies. I really loved some of them.

5 Likes

Yes! Peanut butter on carrots is also yum!

3 Likes

Is SPAM yummy? I never had it…

“According to its label, Spam’s basic ingredients are pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative.” - Wiki

1 Like

Yummy? In the same way that a hot dog tastes like a Sirloin Steak. Or as Vegemite is to Butter. It’s almost edible.

7 Likes