Laser Restarting on it's Own

Ok will do. Thanks for that heads up. Whilst on the topic has anyone noticed the machines whirring noises have changed? Like when the laser head is moving around.

And about this Auto Sleep Function where can I see the settings for that?

There are no user settings for that; it’s a built-in function. After a few minutes of no activity you’ll see the lights dim and the sound level decreases.

Interesting… I’ve never seen/noticed that.
Might there be a case that mine didn’t correctly get that update?

I have a Glowforge Pro.

Not likely – whenever you power cycle your machine it gets the latest updates. :slight_smile:

Is this Power Cycle automatic or was that something I had to do myself?

Just turn your machine off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on again. Done. :blush:

1 Like

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and I was able to see two firmware updates that were applied recently. One was on November 30th, and the most recent was on December 7th. After a firmware update, it’s normal for your Glowforge to reboot. It appears that in the most recent case (on December 7th), the firmware update was initiated just before the print began, so the reboot would have occurred after the print completed. I don’t see anything out of the ordinary related to these reboots. If this happens again, could you please provide the date and time that the unit rebooted, and we’ll be happy to take a closer look.

Regarding the Offline issues, the most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet, so I’m glad to hear that turning your Glowforge off and back on again helps resolve the issue for you.

If you’re still running into trouble, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps! If the Offline trouble continues, we can continue to investigate. Please let us know if you’re still unable to get back online after restarting your Glowforge or taking the steps above, and we’ll be happy to help.

That’s very helpful to know. I often plug my machine in right after I am ready to print. Plug in, drop in material, send the job, hit the button as soon as it starts blinking. I’ve had it reboot after a job completes a few times over the years.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.