My old team at Google had some extra +1s leftover and kindly invited me to their holiday party. They theme this year is a Masquerade Ball, so I thought a couple of masquerade masks for my wife and I would make a nice Laser Thursday project.
When I mentioned this to Dan, he was adamant I used some mini sting ray skins he had gotten a few months ago but hadn’t gotten around to using. It’s essentially sting ray leather. I found the design for the asymmetric mask somewhere on Google images; the more flowery one was bought from a design on Etsy. Both had to be modified in Adobe Illustrator to remove most of their internal holes, since it would result in insufficient thermal mass. Or something. I don’t know. I’m just a software guy.
I spent a good part of the evening running experiments (actually, I spent a good part of the evening waiting for my turn — it was a big turnout tonight), and after many 1" squares at various speeds, I finally determined that the best cut would be achieved from the back, which has a felt-like feel, rather than the front, which is pebbly in texture.
I didn’t cut any string holes; at Dan’s suggestion, I’m going to use spirit gum to affix it to my face. I cut out a separate version of my wife’s mask on card stock; she’s going to try to add some stiffness to her mask so she can attach it to her glasses. Good luck with that, I say.
I’ll upload final images of the masks adorned sometime after tomorrow night.