Laser Tube Replacement

My not-cutting-through problem goes away and comes back again on some days. I’m not sure what causes it (it is back today and super annoying to deal with) but maybe that is a characteristic of tube dying? I can’t not have my machine for however long it takes to repair so I plan on getting a second one and hopefully both won’t be down at the same time

Could it be a function of use/tube heat?

I noticed in the one large, pass through engrave I did in acrylic, obvious differences in the engraves between different sections if i let significant time pass between stopping and starting.

The left half of the big circle and then the left two thirds of the letter R are obvious differences. I don’t remember how much time passed between the circle sections but it was several hours for the letter R. (It was late so I went to sleep. Finished it when I woke up, that whole need to monitor it thing.)

I am starting to believe it’s a function of use/tube heat too! After running a few jobs it eventually went back to normal. I am testing this hypothesis but I guess it would be hard to know for sure

Update: I purchased a refurbished unit in exchange for my old Glowforge. Believe it or not, I’ve already received the refurb and have started printing. They say that when the new repair facility is online they will be able to replace laser tubes.

6 Likes

For those wondering, we do still offer $499 laser tube replacement. Our repair facility is offline right now, so we’re sending an entire refurbished printer for that price rather than just swapping the tubes.

@skeplin, the team sends apologies that we originally charged you wrong. Thanks for your understanding. Our processes have been improved to prevent it from happening to anyone else.

15 Likes

@Dan – thanks for your response. I think there was an initial misunderstanding over what I was asking for. Your team did a good job correcting and I appreciate the support.

4 Likes

@dan Does a refurbished machine have a new laser tube in it? Otherwise, how do I know I’ll end up with a newer tube than the one I’m sending in? I am in need of a new tube and don’t know how to get one short of buying a whole new machine.

Please do not shoot the messenger, but as it stands now, there’s simply no way to tell. Since you are in need of a new tube, your choices appear to be:

1. Get the refurb for $500, which will have a functioning tube of indeterminate age. Still better than a non-functioning GF.
  2. Wait an indeterminate time until straight replacement is again available.
  3. Do nothing.

I had a non-tube-related warranty replacement a couple of years ago and asked about the tube age on the refurb. Same deal – keep my non-functioning GF or accept a functioning replacement. I took the replacement and it’s been a workhorse for the past 2 years. I wouldn’t hesitate to do so again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.