Lasered Leather Fashion

I made this leather vest with my Silhouette cutting machine since I didn’t have access to a laser at the time. I can’t wait to try it out again with a more complex design on the Glowforge. I couldn’t get too detailed with the Silhouette since it would snag on small pieces.

42 Likes

That’s cool! How in the heck did you get through the leather with a Silhouette? :relaxed:

2 Likes

holy cow, that’s amazing - I can’t wait to see what you make with :glowforge: - is that using a CB09 blade?

2 Likes

Thanks! The link in the post will take you to my Instructable with all the details, but basically it’s thin leather, a new blade, and lots of troubleshooting on speed and depth.

4 Likes

Thanks. I don’t know what a CB09 blade is, so I’ll have to say no on that one. I used a standard blade. The link in the post will take you to my Instructable with all the details.
Edit: Oops. Upon googling, I do have one of those blades that a friend gave me, but I didn’t use it on that project.

2 Likes

I will check it out! CB09 is a fancy-pants blade that is supposed to make amazing detailed cuts, I hear good things about it but have not used one. http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2015/10/how-and-why-to-use-graphtec-cb09-blade.html

1 Like

And they’re a lot cheaper than the Silhouette blade replacements.

2 Likes

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Oh yes, the Glowforge should make this type of thing so easy! I hope you got the Pro with the pass through. Very nice work!

I got the basic. I’m a teacher. We’re not known for being rich. With the cameras, it should be no problem to roll it up and realign the design in sections.

8 Likes

Very nice! You are going to love your laser!

2 Likes

The CB09 UB-1 blades come stock on the professional production-quality plotters from Graphtec. They are high-quality 45° blades, made in Japan.

Not cheap, but very good. I should probably replace mine soon as it is over two years old, but it has only been cutting thin vinyl and I have not yet seen my cut quality decline.

8 Likes

Two years is a really good score! Thanks for the informed info :slight_smile:

Spider man, spider man, wearing a vest with a tan, lookout. Here comes that spider mannnn.

1 Like

Ha! It’s actually created from a map. The negative spaces are lots and the positive spaces are streets.

3 Likes

That’s, like, groovy, man…

1 Like

I believe that should be “holey cow!”:grinning:

And I think @brooklyntonia needs to get a pass to the front of the line!

3 Likes

Ha! Thanks!